This old CU, and suitable replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If indeed we call it a CU, or a fuseboard or whatever it is. There's a cover for it, of course - I removed it for the photo:

YNLzwHH.jpg

The two right-most "fuses" don't do anything that I'm aware of, the three used circuits are:

> sockets, whole house, 13 double sockets including spurs and whatnot.
> lights, whole house
> shower

Unless you tell me otherwise, I won't need more circuits than this as it's a small house. However, I may want to get power outside to a shed (yet to be built) one day soon so I suppose I want provisions for that.

Questions:
> Does this actually need replacing? I can tell that it's dated but if there are no known issues with it is that a problem? It's tripped a couple of times in the last year when a bulb has gone or something, so it seems alive still. If it definitely does "need" replacing please explain why or the benefits of doing so.

> If I replace it, can you give examples of suitable CU's? This? http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-6-way-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit-6-mcbs/59209#

> If it doesn't need replacing, could this one be made to supply the outdoor electricity supply I mentioned?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Questions:
> Does this actually need replacing? I can tell that it's dated but if there are no known issues with it is that a problem? It's tripped a couple of times in the last year when a bulb has gone or something, so it seems alive still. If it definitely does "need" replacing please explain why or the benefits of doing so.
It does not require replacing just for the sake of it.
However, would you like a new car and would it be better than the one you have?

If I replace it, can you give examples of suitable CU's? This? http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-6-way-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit-6-mcbs/59209#[/QUOTE]
That one is ok. It will look a bit odd with just three (or four) circuits.

If it doesn't need replacing, could this one be made to supply the outdoor electricity supply I mentioned?
It could but you would need RCD protection using parts which would cost almost as much as the whole CU you link.

As for the two unused circuit breakers -
Do you not have or was there not a cooker and immersion heater?

Can I assume you have removed the cover or is there not one in which case something should be done?

However, would you like a new car and would it be better than the one you have?

Maybe if it was free!

It could [supply an outdoors circuit] but you would need RCD protection using parts which would cost almost as much as the whole CU you link.

And would that come as standard in a new CU or would it still need extra parts then?

As for the two unused circuit breakers -
Do you not have or was there not a cooker and immersion heater?

Not that I'm aware of, the cooker is gas and there's no sign of an electric one. No heater or anything. They may just have been dormant forever?

Can I assume you have removed the cover or is there not one in which case something should be done?

Yes there's an intact plastic cover that I removed for the photo.

Sponsored Links
And would that come as standard in a new CU or would it still need extra parts then?
Enough is already supplied in the CU linked.

Not that I'm aware of, the cooker is gas and there's no sign of an electric one. No heater or anything. They may just have been dormant forever?
Yes, could still be there.

follow that green and yellow. Where does it go?

Loadmaster replacement MCB's are very expensive so if one fails it would cost and also take some time to replace and as it is to expand even to add one socket becomes expensive plus RCD protection is protecting you so yes good idea to replace but not required.

One thing to remember is once you add RCD protection it may locate faults you are completely unaware of. It happened with my parents luck before it became a requirement the electrician (so he claimed) changed the fuse box for a consumer unit only to find he could not get the RCD to hold in.

I could not believe an electrician swapped it without testing first but it would seem he had no test equipment and trusted to the Lord. In the end he ran off into the Welsh hills around Corwen never to be seen again leaving it to me to sort out his mess.

Having so few circuits does present a small problem as from time to time you will have something go faulty so you need a socket which does not use same RCD as the rest so you can swap sockets to find what has gone wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back