Replacing an old CU with a new one

Hi Aptsys

It perhaps is due to so many different things being suggested that has caused a bit of confusion :d

The plan was initially to upgrade the CU to a split CU with no RCBO but dual RCD protection. This has for now been delayed due to the leccy not doing the work and then having to do further work.

So the RCD that you have suggested, will be used to replace the voltage breaker that is currently installed between the meter and the current CU which is a mix of RCBO and MCBs. The overall circuit at the moment is only protected by the VOELCB which I am aiming to either get board to replace with an RCD type or them install a breaker in the meter box so that I can then replace safely.

Then in a few weeks time, once I am ready, I will get the CU replaced.

Sponsored Links
I was (perhaps wrongly) assuming he's be installing a split or mixed RCD/RCBO consumer unit.
I think you are right about that - eventually.

However, if it is to protect the tails because their installation method requires it - or
for personal protection until CU replacement - then it still must be 30mA.

If neither of those reasons apply, when the CU is fitted, then an upfront RCD is not required.

I think you are right about that - eventually.

However, if it is to protect the tails because their installation method requires it - or
for personal protection until CU replacement - then it still must be 30mA.

If neither of those reasons apply, when the CU is fitted, then an upfront RCD is not required.

To begin with, it will be mainly your #2 ( Personal Protection) as currently apart from 2 RCBOs which protect the kitchen and electric shower, the rest of the installation doesn't have any RCD on it. The only protection on it at the moment is the VOELCB.

Yes it is, it's very cheap. In fact it cannot be done properly for that price, assuming they are working because they need money to live.

You have NO IDEA what is involved and how long it takes.

That quote of yours has done my head in since, and you never replied to my further question.

here is a link I found to do with pricing for EICRs:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/prices/e...nspection-incl-certificate.html#axzz4jQDSFFfz

The most I can find on there is about £250 for a 3-bed house. I have a 2bed bungalow!

Sponsored Links
You must want this chap, then:

upload_2017-6-8_17-2-46.png

What does that tell you about the site and some "electricians"?

You must want this chap, then:

View attachment 120606

What does that tell you about the site and some "electricians"?

No, a bit of common sense really.

If I had a studio flat with 1 single CU with 3 circuits on it, then yes!

It was merely commenting on Phatboy saying that £150 is cheap for an EICR not knowing the size of the circuit.

It also tells me anyone can pay £500 to NICEIC and become registered with them. Unfortunately the way government has made the changes, people's perception is that by being an NICEIC member, you know what you are talking about. Some people don't realise NICEIC is a private company and not a public company!

Last edited:
EICRs are not typically priced on the size or type of property.
What really matters is the number of circuits and how much testing/inspection is done.

Completely agree. Which is why one should always obtain at least 3 quotes so he has something to compare against.

One might charge £500 for an EICR thinking he is not going to get any work out of it .

On the other hand, another leccy might charge £60 for one, knowing by being reasonable and friendly, it is very likely that he will get more work out of it based on the findings.

I might just go back and do the rest of my certification and then do this part time.

No, a bit of common sense really.
If I had a studio flat with 1 single CU with 3 circuits on it, then yes!
That doesn't make sense.
At a fixed price, surely the larger your property, the better.

It was merely commenting on Phatboy saying that £150 is cheap for an EICR not knowing the size of the circuit.
OK. (I think you mean property, not circuit)

It also tells me anyone can pay £500 to NICEIC and become registered with them.
Well, sort of - there are other conditions - equipment, paperwork, insurance, previous work to inspect.

Unfortunately the way government has made the changes, people's perception is that by being an NICEIC member, you know what you are talking about.
That is true and not the case.

Some people don't realise NICEIC is a private company and not a public company!
Also true - all part of the con.

On the other hand, another leccy might charge £60 for one, knowing by being reasonable and friendly, it is very likely that he will get more work out of it based on the findings.
I don't think that is the reason.

Cheap EICRs - usually for residential letting agencies - are not really EICRs - and

to make a living would require one every couple of hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back