This red / black thing keeps getting stuck after a flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have 3 Ideal Standard toilet/cisterns in the house as part of the new build house several years ago (2015) and over-time, this issue is getting worse to the point its just annoying now.

After flushing, every 2-3 flushes will result in this red lever with the black float getting stuck too high and so the water does not fill the cistern.
Literally have to give it the smallest of taps/nudges resulting in the float to go lower at which point it fills up allowing the next person to flush.

Sometimes we don't bother to lift the lid, tapping it etc at which point it either extremely slowly fills up or usually at 2 in the morning, drops, and then starts to fill up.

Can this part be replaced easily or is it quite an in-depth process assuming it does need replacing?

Thanks in advance

81b01da9-6ef5-4c91-bde8-8caf8946df7c.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is the cistern fill valve, is the pipe underneath it a braided flexi or a solid metal/ plastic pipe.

Reactions: CBW
80% sure its braided - happened to see this when I was changing the seat where the hinge bolts were under but will check tonight for sure

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the poor quality - I assume this is what you mean in terms of braided

@terryplumb how does a brass tail differ?

Attachments

• f7f5edff-213c-40c6-a616-db11b659da40.jpg
    f7f5edff-213c-40c6-a616-db11b659da40.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 39
Brass threaded tail is better to connect to the supply. Plastic threads are very easy to cross thread when connecting up,and then you have a knackered new float valve !!

Hi all,
Just wanted to update - I was advised by a handyman to spray with WD40...and to my surprise it worked.
Never once thought it was fix it especially as that part gets wet but for over a month now, no getting stuck.

Unsure how long it will last but sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked!

Thanks again

White vinegar will clear limescale. Smells like a chippy but works.
I can't imagine it being limescale as we've had a water softener from fairly early on and being a new build, we've seen it being built brick by brick so no previous owners.

Sure there was some minor use before the softener got installed but I would have thought it would take months of use with normal water to keep jamming it. Also could t any scaling at all visually.

1. With most inlet valves, changing it is often the easiest job.
2. However, with the sort you have got, the cistern has to be separated from the pan to get at the securing nut (white plastic nut above the flexi in your photograph). This is a much bigger job, and requires you to also change the "doughnut" washer which seals the cistern to the pan, and in prudence, the nuts, bolts and washer securing the cistern to the pan.
3. If you can remove the white plastic cap under the red float lever, you will find a rubber diaphragm washer. Change that.
4. It would be best if you can identify the inlet valve (make and model) to get appropriate spares.
5. Turn the water to the WC off before changing the diaphragm.
6. I wouldn't use WD40 on any plumbing fitting which has a rubber washer in it. The best plumbing lubricant is silicon grease. It can be obtained as a light spray such as Screwfix item 3290F.

Unsure how long it will last but sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked!
Not so much overlooked, as not really considered as a go to solution for a plastic float. 8 years out of a fill valve isn't that bad, doesn't really owe you anything,

Ideally it would be replaced. To do that though, that will need the cistern taken off the pan, the fill valve connection is up 'inside' the chair of the pan and will be nigh on impossible to get a tool in there to either get the end of the flexi off or the nut that holds the fill valve in.

Thank you all for the replies
I suppose I'm more used to my previous Victorian house where the walls might let in all the cold and out all the heat but things like the old cisterns etc just never broke.

I almost purchased 3 of the Fluidmaster fill valves @gas112 mentioned above until I saw the following replies -

I think from the sounds of it, it is better to just get a plumber in? Regardless of the route, I'm glad the issue at the very least is identified so I know what to expect if I do call in outside help

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back