This silicone is cr*p!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently resealed my shower with a silicone that is water based opposed to oil based (when it's wet, you can wipe it off with a damp cloth, you don't have to use white spirit)

Anyway, 2 weeks afterwards I am now noticing that it's starting to come off and go all flaky! It also didn't go off properly in one corner and it's now leaking there! Oh, I did prepare it properly, so that's deffo not the reason! So beware! It took me ages to do properly!!! grrrr

Sponsored Links
I quite often use silicone sealant, but i always suggest "genuine" silicone sealant, goes to show, you get what you pay for

Sponsored Links
Am I allow to recommend silicone sealant product on this forum,not sure what the advertising rules is?

masona said:
Am I allow to recommend silicone sealant product on this forum,not sure what the advertising rules is?

I wish you would! I hate doing things twice (well, some things!hehe)

I'll dig the tube out of the shed tomorrow and let you know what it is corgiman!

masona said:

Advertise away! IMHO good recommendations are hard to come by!

Okaaaaay,as you have put me under tremendous pressure :LOL: :LOL:

I have use this in my shower and still looks new after 4 years with the shower being on daily 4 times a day

I've had good and bad experience with silicone sealant. The good stuff is marketed under the name EvoStick, it is sold by builders merchants (here in Aberdeen anyway) and smells like vinegar for a few days. The crap stuff, believe me it is useless, in marketed under the name of UniBond is sold by B&Q and has no smell. B&Q own brand is also useless. Application is straightforward, do what it says on the tin. I find, although maybe distastefull, a finger with a bit of spit on it works best for smoothing it off. Have tissues ready to clean you finger and mop up any excess.

That's interesting, I used Wickes bathroom sealant, not a silicone type, and it stuck with no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back