thorn olympic boiler spares / replacement help!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mum and dad have a service contract (british gas) on their old thorn olympic 38/50 boiler. being told now that spares are hard to come by and that it is very ineffiecient.

can anyone tell me what type of boiler this is , their opinion on parts availibilty and what if needed in the future would be a suitable replacement boiler. bottom end budget please.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
godwinap";p="1397242 said:
my mum and dad have a service contract (british gas) on their old thorn olympic 38/50 boiler. being told now that spares are hard to come by and that it is very inefficient.
Some of that is true. The boiler is very inefficient by current standards and most of the parts are no longer available. The problem with BG is that, if they do not hold the part, they will not try to obtain it from another source. If you use an independent engineer he will normally have a number of sources and will try to obtain the part for you.

can anyone tell me what type of boiler this is
Its a regular (not combi) non-modulating 15kW boiler. What else do you need to know?

What is your budget?

thanks for the reply, just looking at the bottom end starting price, could you reccomend a similar model?

also the gas engineer mentioned the flue height would be incorrect if replaced with a new boiler, any ideas on this,

many thanks for your input.

if the flu is under 2m it should have a terminal guard fitted (chip pan)

a new fan flue would have to be 300mm away from a door or window or vent.

what is state of the current flue?

Sponsored Links
The problem with BG is that, if they do not hold the part, they will not try to obtain it from another source.

thats not true. BG also hold one of the largest single stock of parts in britain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back