Thoughts and advice wanted on extension plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I posted this originally in 'your projects' but haven't had much response. I'm looking for a bit of feedback on my plans for renovating a 1970s detached house needing lots of tlc.

This is our first house purchase Me & Mrs CivEng and it needs work so it's going to be a challenge!

The house is your pretty standard ugly pebbledash, concrete tile, nasty windows, 70s suburbia house so we are looking to renovate over the next few years as cash is available.

Inside is no better with original everything: wiring, plumbing, carpets, the lot... including obligatory coloured bathroom suite (navy blue, mmm)

We get the keys in October so I'll hopefully upload some photos then. However, in the meantime we are lucky enough to have the original home builders plans that we have been able to use to produce some development plans as can be seen in the attached images.

Our plan initially is to start with the utility room to the west of the kitchen to give us a bit more space for wet dogs etc and do this as a single storey extension, with a view to adding the major double storey extension once we have done the rest of the unaffected internal work. We appreciate that this will have an additional cost as it will need roofed initially, probably flat given its relatively temporary nature, but it seems a sensible way to do it.

We have drawn up these plans ourself after scratching our collective heads for a few hours and are keen to hear any comments or guesses for the total price on them from the collective wisdom before we stumble into major problems down the line.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Ta,
Civ

Original Plan

New Ground Floor

New first Floor

New Exterior (simple)

Sponsored Links
I think you've done away with the dining room in the new plan which is an excellent idea imo.

Doing some work for a guy currently and his kitchen is about 10' square with three doors and an island in the middle. Any more than two people in there and its crowded. No seats. :eek:
The architects should actually be paying the clients to accept these bodges or at least give a refund.

He's a country guy though and she's from the town so I suspect it was her choice. Big mistake and I think they realise it now.

He took me in for a cup of tae which I appreciated but once in there we had to traisp all the way down to his living room where his baby daughter was sleeping and we had to whisper to each other or risk waking the ba up and be subjected to ear piercing shreiks.
The van for me after that. :mrgreen:

Yeah, dining room is to become a home office/study type space to look something like this

I am a bit concerned about the kitchen feeling small but with the utility room and new living/dining space at the back I thought it might be ok.

Civ

Oh dear. Upon looking closer I've just noticed your small kitchen with the three doors and no table or seating.
And the food has to be transported through a doorway to another room.
Each to their own I guess.
Looks like its still the van for me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back