threaded anchors - dry wall fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
We have hollow walls - plaster board - and I'm trying to hang a mirror.
The first anchor went in fine - nice and secure. The second, however, was not willing to play ball. The threaded anchor kept turning without biting and just pulled away. I now have a large hole just where I need the second fixing for the mirror.
I'm at a bit of a loss as to the best way forward and would appreciate any help or advice that's going!
Thanks, in anticipation!
Brenda

Sponsored Links
It's a tricky one. Ideally you would repair the hole with new plasterboard cut out using the right filler and starting from scratch.

I'd recommend picture handing strips, if they work for your mirror?

• Each pair of small strips holds up to 450 g
  • Each pair of medium strips holds up to 1 Kg
  • Dimensions of strips: small = 54 x 16 x 2 mm / medium = 70 x 19 x 2 mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Picture-Hanging-Strips-Value/dp/B000OF6X48

Can you move the mirror either up or down just a wee bit to allow you to start again?
With hollow wall anchors, you must drill the correct size diameter hole to start with, and you must prevent them from spinning when they are being tightened.
This is where the correct setting tool comes into its own, although you can get by without one......just press the barb tightly into the plasterboard and keep it there.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman, I think I'll go with your suggestion. I do hope it works - such a disappointment when it had all started so well!

Sponsored Links
Have you ever used the nylon threaded anchors? They seem to just screw into the plasterboard directly - no need for a drill!?

Can't say I have seen nylon screw in anchors, but certainly I've seen the steel ones.
Again, they are ok if conditions are absolutely ideal - which they rarely are!
Personally I go for the hollow wall anchors every time, but I'm careful to use the correct size drill (some of these things can actually cut their own way into plasterboard).
Once these things are set, they can withstand heavy loading.

A pleasure......I don't suppose you have a plasterboard off cut you could have a play with, have you? Great for finding how these fittings behave.

Sadly no. I would love to play about - but the place we have moved into (a flat) is only 5 years old and I haven't done that much of a diy nature in it. Previously, in our old house I did loads of stuff and had a shed full of bits - including plasterboard. Ah well. (I can do stuff with solid walls - but have never really encountered hollow wall situations before. :() You live and learn, I will make it work!

Success! Mirror is on the wall - absolutely level and firm!!!
Thank you for all your help! (I don't think I shall being doing much more of this sort of thing now - but if it turns out that I do, I shall certainly look into the setting tool!) (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back