Three lamp ceiling light - changing back to single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen in the house we've bought has a 3-spotlight fitting in the ceiling, like this:

3a759dfa34407ed9beb6eb10a83cdff1.jpg

It works fine, but I don't like it. We have a single pendant fitting which I'd like to replace it with. After working out how to get the actual fitting off the ceiling (no small task lol), I'm faced with this wiring:

754712e121c25924406e6c6083492f28.jpg

02882b791c05b4381e78be6c055c9d86.jpg

This is obviously far too many wires for a single bulb pendant - so which ones should I use, and what should I do with the rest? Is it a simple case of running one wire from each outward connector on the block?

I've changed/refitted the flex to plenty of single pendant fittings in the house before, so I'm at least capable of the basics - but I have no real idea how this particular fitting has been done, and how to revert it to connecting just one bulb/fitting. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Do you have another light that comes on at the same time as that one? I can’t work out why you have two of each wires going into the terminal block.

Hi Mottie - no, it's just one switch which operates these 3 lights at once

I think that's what's throwing me - if it was one of each going into the block, then splitting into three, it would be pretty obvious what's going on!

Sponsored Links
Does something else only work with this lamp switched on? The MIL had that when she moved into a house once.

Not that I know of. I'll hunt around again for other hidden light fittings or signs of hastily plastered-over fixtures, but since I never use the big light (it's far too bright) the switch is pretty much always off and everything still works...

You just connect the new light to the same connectors that the old light is connected to - L, N & E(if required).

You will find three red wires in one connector stuffed into the ceiling; do not alter.

Perfectly normal power in cable, power to next room cable and switch cable.

got you. so basically take the existing 9 wires out of the box, connect 2 (or 3) wires from the new pendant into their corresponding positions in the box... then work out how to fix the mess in the plastering above :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back