Three-phase supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the standard single-phase feed into a property with three-phase.

What's the procedure? I've got a ground contractor installing a new drive & path. It's obviously the right time to put the 3-core, N & E SWA in.

I've already put a new water main in in readiness. If I liaise with the elec supplier, will I (or my contractor) be able to lay the cable and leave ready for connection?

Need to get the surface down asap. before the postman falls down a hole!

Sponsored Links
Have you liased with the supplier already? If not do this straight away.

They may even not supply 3phase.

you need to liase with the supplier before you start doing anything. You probably will be able to run the cable yourself but you will have to run the type of cable they specify and install it according to thier rules.

Even if they agree to installing 3 phase, you can expect a lengthy delay - 10-12 weeks would not be unusual.

Sponsored Links
Shove an orange duct in with a draw rope inside, go a couple of feet down to be safe and shove some 'warning buried electric cable below' tape in at about 9 inches.

Then they can put whatever cable they like down.

I cant speak for them tho, so be sure to ring them before ordering any stuff or digging the trench.

Shove an orange duct in with a draw rope inside, go a couple of feet down to be safe and shove some 'warning buried electric cable below' tape in at about 9 inches.
I'm pretty sure DNO HV is black duct and I doubt your depth is deep enough to meet thier rules.

From what I can gather DNOs often refuse to connect if thier rules haven't been followed to the letter.

I'm pretty sure DNO HV is black duct and I doubt your depth is deep enough to meet thier rules.

From what I can gather DNOs often refuse to connect if thier rules haven't been followed to the letter.

You can download the rules from here: NJUG

Not orange — could be confused with gas (yellow).

Orange is traffic lights, purple is street lights.

Black is LV mains, red is HV mains.

Blue is water and yellow is gas.

Orange is used in lecky to indentify internal services. (hence orange MI).

And rather anally, every last piece of conduit when I was at college.

It looked rubbish :LOL:

I did a job in a fire-pump house in a large factory. Huge pressuried tanks and pumps for the sprinkler and fire hoses.

He had to paint everything electrical orange including the conduit and SWA! The guys moving the pipework around had to paint all their stuff red.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back