Three port valve help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help, my central heating will only work if I move the three port valve arm myself then heating is fine and the boiler fires up, I can turn off by the room thermostat and on again and do the same with the programmer but once off for a while the arm on the port valve returns and will not work again to fire up the boiler, by the way the hot water is fine, I have also changed the synchron motor but still no joy and rewired the central heating, I'm being told it could be the thermostat in the boiler (Ideal icos HE28) is this true or should I just pack my bags and move out. :confused:

Sponsored Links
What make is the valve.

I don't bother changing syncron motors. It's more hassle than its worth. The cogs/gears might be slipping

Why did you re-wire? Were you having problems before re-wiring?

Sponsored Links
Yes, had the problem before I re-wired, I thought it was a electrical fault. Its a Honeywell valve, just cant understand why all works fine for a while till the arm moves back on the valve then wont start again unless moved manually.

Is there a HW off from your programmer?

What causes the valve to return to HW position (try turning prog and stats on and off and observing valve, or measuring votages on valve wires if competent to do so)

Just got in from work, pushed the valve are over and heating fired up, then turned the cylinder thermostat up to fire up the hot water and arm returned and central heating turned off... appreciate the help Mick

Let us know how you've wired it and maybe I (or someone else) can help you.

1= live supply/programmer
2= neutral 3 port/supply/programmer/boiler/pump
3= earth 3 port/supply/programmer/boiler/pump
4= brown CH on programmer/blue room stat
5= white 3 port/brown room stat
6= black HW on programmer/grey cylinder stat
7= grey CH off programmer/3 port/ brown cylinder stat
8= brown boiler/pump/ orange 3 port/ black cylinder stat
9= green&yellow room stat/HW off programmer

Hot water still only comes on if manually move the arm on valve :confused:

Def wrong, thats assuming your info is accurate, and you've got a honeywell valve.
Grey from 3-port should connect to HW off AND satisfied from cyl stat.
Room stat should not be connected to HW off.

agreed wired wrong at the programmer

@ the programmer take the grey out of the CH off and reconnect it to HW off

then try it
we will presume for now that the cylinder stat is wired correctly (as it is not a colour scheme I would have used)

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back