Three red wires going into ceiling light fitting, no black!

While what you say is strictly speaking true using "Line" for the wires that are 230 V above Earth potential is confusing for the average DIY reader. Like wise calling the Neutral wire Live is also confusing for the average DIY reader.
Agreed, and this may be a situation in which abbreviations are to some extent our friend. Whenever it seems possible, appropriate and likely to be understood, I try to use "L" (or "switched L" or "permanent L"), in an attempt not to confuse DIYers etc. but, at the same time, to not feed those clever clogs who are prone to jump in with comments about 'strictly correct terminology' :)

In fact, I'm not really sure what the 'strict definition of "Live" really is. BS7671 says:
Live conductor (see Live part).
Live part. A conductor or conductive part intended to be energized in normal use, including a neutral conductor but, by convention, not a PEN conductor.
It doesn't define ';energize(d)', so I'm left with having to assume that it refers to any conductor or any 'part' which is not 'intended to be' at earth potential - but that's just a guess! It's also a little odd (confusing?) that, in a TN-C-S installation, the conductor providing the 'return path' back to the transformer is called a 'Live conductor' within the installation, but then ceases to be a 'Live conductor' once it is upstream of the cutout!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
While what you say is strictly speaking true using "Line" for the wires that are 230 V above Earth potential is confusing for the average DIY reader.

Like wise calling the Neutral wire Live is also confusing for the average DIY reader.
Was it not Winnie the Pooh who insisted that correct terminology was critical just a few posts back?

Therefore I stand by my point.

It's also a little odd (confusing?) that, in a TN-C-S installation, the conductor providing the 'return path' back to the transformer is called a 'Live conductor' within the installation, but then ceases to be a 'Live conductor' once it is upstream of the cutout!
And lets not forget that elsewhere in BS7671 it says that single pole isolation is acceptable on TN installations.

Sponsored Links
Was it not Winnie the Pooh who insisted that correct terminology was critical just a few posts back?

No one called Winnie the Pooh on this or any other thread I can find. Perhaps you are confusing with another forum.

No one called Winnie the Pooh on this or any other thread I can find. Perhaps you are confusing with another forum.
If I was confusing with other forums it would be George "Winnie the Pooh" Cooke, silly boy...

On a completely unrelated note would you like to impart your views on the compatibility of stranded conductors with Wago type connectors?

Certainly. First perhaps you should explain your view.
It's not 'my view', it's the view of BS7671.

I presume that you are talking about 462.1.101 which does, indeed, require that the whole-installation 'Main Switch' ('close to the origin of the installation') in a domestic installation "interrupts both live conductors of a single phase supply" [ interestingly, my domestic installation has a 3-phase supply, so that requirement presumably doesn't apply! ]

However, that is just one special instance of isolation which is an exception to the general rule. In terms of any other isolation (e.g. of an individual circuit or item of equipment), 461.2 applies, and that states that (if certain conditions are satisfied) the neutral does not need to be isolated in the case of a TN-S or TN-C-S installation, without any suggestion that this does not apply to domestic installations.

On a completely unrelated note would you like to impart your views on the compatibility of stranded conductors with Wago type connectors?
I have created a seperate thread for this to avoid further derailing this one.https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/wago-type-connectors.592523/

The critical need is to get the message / advice / warning across to the person seeking help in a language that (s)he can fully understand.

If achieving this critical need means some deviation from the strictly accurate description to a description that the person understands is necessary then so be it,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back