Three way, intermediate switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed an intermediate switch into a two-way switched light thinking that I could turn the light on and off using all three switches. This isn't the case. When used alone the switch acts as a one-way switch. When it's off the two two-way switches work as normal but when it's on it keeps the light on and renders the two two-way switches useless.

I followed the instructions exactly. Is this supposed to happen or have I done something wrong?

Sponsored Links
On my intermediate switch the L1 and L2 marks are at the side and not top and bottom. So the Blue and Yellow wires from the first switch are on one side and the Blue and Yellow wires from the second switch are on the other side. I know that they are shown top and bottom like your picture in all the instructions and so forth but my switch indicates that L1 is on one side and L2 is on the other.

I shall have to have a look.

If it doesn't work when connected in the sides, then connect it in to the top and bottom. The worst that can happen is that it just won't work right. I have had this before with intermediate switches. Manufacturers seem to differ, some connect both strappers in L1 from one switch and both into L2 from the other switch. Others connect one into L1 and the other into L2 from one switch and the same going to the other switch. It may just be a case of trying both ways.

Sponsored Links
I re-wired the switch to one cable into L1 and the other into L2 and it now works.

Strange how the switch indicates otherwise. I don't have the diagram for that particular switch and I can't remember what it said.

Cheers for your help spark. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back