Three Way Valve Clicking in Mid position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an annoying clicking coming from the Mid Position Valve on my Central Heating System. ACL Lifestyle (Model No:679H3430 30L0)

Heating only = No Clicking
Hot Water only = No Clicking
Heating & Hot Water = clicking ever second or so.

It doesn't appear to be effecting the function of the valve as it is moving to the correct position when I switch on Heating (H)/Hot Water (W) or both (M), and I have heating/hot water.

The control board (PCB) on the Potterton Suprima was replaced but I don't remember this starting until a few weeks after that.

What can I check to see if I need to replace the valve?

Should I be worried about it other than the annoyance of the clicking?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
The clicking implies that the motor is still turning in an attempt to move the valve spindle, and that one of the teeth on one of the gears is worn.

If this is case, then when the demand to heat the hot water is satisfied by the cylinder thermostat then I would expect the boiler and pump to stop. However, since you say that the valve stops clicking when in CH only mode, it would seem that the valve moves fully to the CH only position.

Personally, I would replace the actuator (aka powerhead) now, before it stops working altogether.

Before you commit to that, remove the powerhead (with the power off) and see how easily the valve spindle turns. It should move by hand. If you feel undue resistance, then replace the entire valve, not just the powerhead.

If you replace the valve, and find that it's gummed up with rust and/or magnetite, then your system needs cleansing. The method of cleansing depends on how badly fouled up it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back