Threshold and t bar height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken delivery of a strand woven bamboo floor, the planks of which are 14mm high, and mouldings to suit, allegedly! However the recess or rebate?, excuse the incorrect term, in the mouldings is only 10mm and the overall height of the mouldings is 15mm so these mouldings will never sit on the subfloor or underlay. So I would think they are suitable for flooring that is 10mm thick? Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Further to the above I contacted the supplier and he said I should glue the threshold to the floor.

I questioned this as I felt if it was fixed to the floor, then surely if the floor expanded and moved so did the threshold? If the other side of the T was also fixed to the other floor covering surely this negated the idea of a gap?

The answer was "The threshold only gets fixed to the bamboo so that if it does move it moves with the flooring. If no room for expansion, don't worry. As long as there's room for expansion everywhere else this will be fine"

I think this contradicts with the advice by others on here?

I think I'd rather fit beading under the threshold to raise it just above the floor and give the floor room to move underneath it, right or wrong?

you need 3 to 4mm per m for expansion so assuming you have 12mm around the edges and around 12ft either side off the strip then you will be fine [1mm per foot]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back