Ticking from hot pipe under flooboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been worried about a dripping noise under floorboard in bedroom. Being going on for months but can't see any patches from below. Thought it was central heating but appears not. It only occurs after running hot tap in kitchen (pipe runs through bedroom down to kitchen). I had a plumber in who said it was most likely expansion of pipe causing ticking. I explained I needed to be 100% sure before laying new carpets and said I was happy to pay for an hour to lift some boards and have a look. He spend 10 minutes lifted two board and put a screwdriver to the pipe like a stethoscope and said 100% its just ticking no leak although he could say exactly where

Can I "clean up" by at my leisure by lifting the boards and putting better clips or padding around the pipes before screwing the boards down nicely (don't want creaking floorboards) before fresh carpet?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to expose every joist that the offending pipe crosses, and put a single wrap of this around the pipe to stop the ticking

Thanks Andrew - never heard of the stuff. Presumably you only need to put it around the pipe inside the joists i.e. not the whole length of pipe?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back