Is it possible to repair a hole in a copper pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After noticing a wet patch on my kitchen ceiling I lifted up the bedroom carpet above and lifted some floorboards to find a screw in one of the pipes. I found it odd that this pipe was so close to the board. Anyway I turned off the supply and removed the screw so in need of some advice on how to repair it. Can a plumbing novice fix this or do i need to call someone in? If it's an easy diy fix can some point me to what i need preferably anything available from b&q or similar.

Sponsored Links
Cut it out, repipe it and job done. I prefer copper and soldered joints.

How can we tell you what you need - pipe comes in many sizes. But, a blowtorch, solder, wire wool, flux, pipe cutters, fire extingusher would be a start.

Mr. W.

You can carry out the repair provided you have the equipment and knowledge. You can use "push fit" fittings and you will not need any experience. you will need one straight coupler and a pipe cutter. Simply cut the section of pipe with the hole in it either side of the hole. Then push the fitting on to the pipe. Ensure both ends of the pipe are fully engaged in to the fitting. Twist and lock the fitting. Done. If I were you I would call a Plumber

easiest way for novice is to cut out area were hole is and get yourself a compression slip coupling from a merchant which will then slide over the gap and all you need is a spanner to tighten, so no need for solder, flux etc. with a slip coupling you won't need any movement at either end of the pipe run as they have no stops inside, works every time

Sponsored Links
if it very close to floor board then you need to do a soldered joint
if not pipe cutter(not a hack saw) and a push fitting should do
right here comes the abuse :LOL:

if it very close to floor board then you need to do a soldered joint
if not pipe cutter(not a hack saw) and a push fitting should do
right here comes the abuse :LOL:

abuse never, I've fitted them were some muppet has put a nail through pipe on the joist and had enough space, just, push fit will also work but i never use them, my choice everybody has their own ways. :D :D :D

The pipe is running perpendicular to the floor joists just below the board level in notch cuts. The hole is right on the joist where the board was screwed down and perhaps only a few mm below the bottom of the board. Is there a picture anyone can link to for what I need to make this repair? The device mentioned above which only needs pliers and a spanner to attach.

If the leak is "in the notch" you need to solder it, should not be enough room for anything else unless some cowboy hacked a crater in the joist.

If the leak is "in the notch" you need to solder it, should not be enough room for anything else unless some cowboy hacked a crater in the joist.

hope for the cowboy, there have been plenty around for a long time :) , It'll fit, try it first,, easier for diy'er than solder, I have fitted them in notches and never had problems with them leaking ever.

Thanks guys. If I go for one of these repair couplers (assuming pipe is 15mm diameter) do I then just go buy a pipe cutter and cut out the same length of pipe as the specified coupler e.g. 100mm/75mm etc? Apologies for all the questions just want to get this done asap. Hopefully b&q will stock these things.

Thanks guys. If I go for one of these repair couplers (assuming pipe is 15mm diameter) do I then just go buy a pipe cutter and cut out the same length of pipe as the specified coupler e.g. 100mm/75mm etc? Apologies for all the questions just want to get this done asap. Hopefully b&q will stock these things.

No, if you cut 75mm of pipe out the 75 mm coupling will be to small.

The thought of a Diyer and a Blowlamp on a wooden floor. Aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh :cry:

Don't think B&Q will but you could try, local merchant would be better, you only need to cut out the piece with the hole, the point of the repair coupling is it will slide over the pipe as it only has a stopper on one end, so just cut out a small piece.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back