pipe puncture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, I put down several nails on the floor board of the en-suite in my upstairs bedroom, trying to cure the squeaking noise problem of the floorboard. Later on it occurred to me that there is a (PVC) waste pipe from the en-suite shower running beneath the floor (there may be a hole in the joist allowing the pipe through). I can tell one of the nails is pretty close to the pipe (from the noise that I knocked on the floor board I could tell there is a hole in the joist below), but not sure if it has hit the pipe or not. I poured water in the shower and there is no visible leak from downstairs ceiling. But I am still not 100% sure.

Is there any way to tell if the nail has hit the pipe without lifting the floorboard? Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Tough one.

I hate using nails, I always use screws on floorboards. If there is a nail in the pipe it will be more or less keeping the water back (if its only gone through the top).

My advice is do nothing untill a damp patch appears underneath, then either rip up and repair (cut pipe and use straight connector if the pipes allow) or maybe take the nail out and insert of screw wrapped in PTFE.

Maybe practice the latter on a scrap piece of pipe first and see if it seals.
:D

Sponsored Links
dear all, thanks for your replies. so a hole on top of the pipe may be okay - normally the water will not overflow from the hole (it is waste pipe so not much pressure)? So for the moment I just leave it?

I'd leave it tbh. If it has gone through the nail will seal the hole anyway and even a small hole in the top of the pipe isn't gonna do much harm. If it shatters the pipe you'll see water pretty quick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back