number of central heating pipes

jql

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am in the process of screwing my floor boards down and am very worried about hitting the central heating pipes. i am 95% sure that i have located the pipes in each room. there are 2 pipes that come into the room that i can see. would there be anymore under the floor or can i presume that the rest of the floor is clear and screw nails anywhere? i need add screws to the middle of the floorboard as adding at the side is not fixing the problem.
thanks
jql

Sponsored Links
You can't guarantee anything at all in this situation - the central heating pipes could be continuing into the next room, with branches off to the radiators......the pipes are likely to be notched into the joists without any protection, and there could also be electric wiring issues!
We've all been there...... :p
John :)

jql";p="2086383 said:
hi, i am in the process of screwing my floor boards down and am very worried about hitting the central heating pipes.
jql";p="2086383 said:
I don't blame you.

i am 95% sure that i have located the pipes in each room. there are 2 pipes that come into the room that i can see. would there be anymore under the floor

Possibly

or can i presume that the rest of the floor is clear

NEVER assume ANYTHING!

and screw nails anywhere?

Screw nails?

i need add screws to the middle of the floorboard as adding at the side is not fixing the problem.

Pipes down the middle and srews on the outside is the rule!

Seriously, it is difficult to tell where pipes are when you are in the room, let alone on a keyboard! If the boards are wobbly, it follows that they have been lifted. If they have been lifted, there may be some services underneath. You really have to lift the suspect boards, investigate, and choose your fixing positions. Anything else is a risk.

thanks for the replys. i will leave adding screws in the middle of boards well alone. just have to live with it.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it would help to give details about what is wrong with the boards :!:

i need add screws to the middle of the floorboard as adding at the side is not fixing the problem.
If this is because of the existing holes in the board being too large for new fixings, then it's time for new floorboards. It might be possible to turn the board round so the old holes are not over the joists, but that depends on where it is cut.
If because the joists are damaged or there is nothing to screw into, then additional timbers will have to be fixed in place first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back