Ticking Radiator Problem

Don't agree about 3 hours. If the boiler is cycling the rad and pipework will continue to click. Plastic friction reducing spacers on the brackets are designed to deal with this. Cut out some old plastic pot (yoghurt comes to mind) and place it in the slot on in the bracket. May be easier said than done.

Sponsored Links
Will try replacing the plastic brackets first and then taking it off completely. I did take it off last month when I was redecorating but it was drained and not hosed.

I've replaced the brackets but I've noticed that on two of the radiators there is the ticking sound coming from one of the valves on each of the radiators...

Do these valves need replacing? If so how much hassle is it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do the pipes to these valves come through a hole in floor? Poss the hole is too small and pipe moves against floorboard during expansion and contraction. May also be pipe rubbing against joist in floor under rad.

Yes they do. There does appear to be ample room but the pipe is quite solid and there is no give.

Can't be sure, but if it's tight ander floor, maybe rubbing on joist, etc. TRVs don't usually tick.

I guess I'll have to lift the floorboards. It's not a TRV, just a regular valve by the way.

Get the WD40 out for the brackets at least to diagnose the problem, and if you think its pipes under the floor rubbing against the timber try a liberal dousing of talc!

Hi,

Quick update...

I've had my system powerflushed as the water was black and had a magnaclean filter installed too.

The ticking is still continuing though. I've noticed that if I shut the problem radiator off the ticking does stop (close both valves either side). This seems to indicate that the problem is with the radiator or it's valves and not the piping under the floor unless someone else argues otherwise.

I'll try WD40 on the brackets but I'm worried this will chemically degrade the plastic brackets. Can someone advise further on this?

My next course of action is to freeze the pipe and replace the valve.

Thanks!

Thanks - I'll look into that.

If that doesn't work then I hope the problem is the valve because I don't know what else it could be.

If anyone's interested...

Found that the central heating pipes were pressed against the underside of the floorboards. I had to chisel some wood on the joist around the pipes and then plane the underside of the floorboard to give the pipes room.

Ha ha, we had this, it's infuriating isn't it? You've got a small blob of solder that's jumping up and down in the up-current in the flow pipe and can't get into the radiator. Turn the valve down slowly until it stops jumping then send me a £10 beer token for having solved your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back