Tidying light circuit "dead legs"

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house came with some emergency lights. They are c. 20 years old and knackered so I've removed them.

They are wired with a single 2c+E to each light, not looped in. They are all relatively close to a normal fitting so I thought they might be spurred off. However the adjacent light fittings do not have normal loop in ceiling roses. The owner has fitted IKEA lights and it looks like the wiring has been choc blocked, shoved into the ceiling and plastered over so it's not simple to access.

1. How are emergency lights normally wired? Is it a spur from the nearest light fitting?

2. For now I have taped up the wires and left them stuck out. What's the best way to conceal them for a few months until I can lift the floorboards above and sort it out properly? It doesn't seem good practice to shove it all in the floor void and plaster over! I could terminate them into a small junction box like a Wagobox and push that into the floor void and plaster over? I guess I could terminate them into a ceiling rose but would rather hide them completely.

Thanks

bsr

Sponsored Links
As a minimum terminating into a chocolate block and putting on an enclosure if it would be tidy

Clearly emergency lights have to be from same supply as non emergency lights if you want them to be triggered by the failure of the non emergency lights. However I have seen it where some one has used an independent supply, why I don't know, but you can't assume because it would be sensible to come from same supply that is what has been done.

As to what to do with cables, again what will be sensible and compliant is not what is always done. I know insulation tape does not comply, because it can be removed without a tool, however it is unlikely a child will go under the floor boards and unwrap the cables, so if made safe so some one feeling under floor boards or using metal rods to feed something through will be unlikely to make contact with the cables then in real terms that is likely good enough.

I would tape then fold back and tape again so ends can't poke out of tape, you want no loops which may get caught up with threading rods. However this would not as I say comply, as tape can be removed without a tool, but it would not worry me.

Sponsored Links
As a minimum terminating into a chocolate block and putting on an enclosure if it would be tidy
whssign.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back