Tidying up external cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The electricity supply wires for my house come outside from the meter (just inside the front door), and then connect to a pair of wires that run along the front, on the underside of a canopy roof, of all the houses on the terraced row.

The wires are covered in manky paint and years of mess, and as I've just been repainting all the woodwork I'd like to tidy them up a bit.

Here's a photo:

Is it safe/possible to trunk these in some way? If so what type of trunking do I need to use? I'd rather not burn the house down for the sake of tidy wires :D

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Sponsored Links
As mentioned you shouldn't touch them, but they are on your property and there's nothing to say you couldn't box them in.

I'd Screw some 38 x 25mm in front of them (bit "A") and then fit some wood over bit "A" going towards the gutter. A bit like an upside L, then a dop of sealant between the gutter and the wood.

Would be prudents to make sure the wood is prepared for weathering before fitting (ie underseal and prime).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, sounds like a good idea.

I was told that the electrician who re-wired the house was going on about it not being right that they weren't very well protected...although to be fair I think he'd have preferred them to be underground

old houses eh?! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back