tidying up hightraffic areas of stipped wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our basement has a reclaimed wood floor which was sanded and vanished about 10 years ago. most of it is still in very good condition but there is about 2m sq in a high traffic area which is looking tired and in need of some TLC. I am reluctant to have the whole floor re sanded and vanished because of the disruption it could cause, expense, and that fact that most of it is looking fine (and covered by rugs and furniture).

I am contemplating using my handheld belt sander to strip off the varnish and then re vanishing just that section. Do you think this Is this feasible/sensible? If it is then what grades of belt would you recommend and any advice on how to go about it. I am certainly not looking for a perfect finish.

The picture attached shows the area I want to freshen up. The section nearest the camera is usually covered by a rug and is what I am looking to return the worn section to.

Many thanks

Jasper.
DSCF7889.JPG

Sponsored Links
Of course you can do that. Use anti-clogging paper. Maybe 80 grit to start, then 180 to smooth. (You've discovered the trouble with varnish instead of oil/wax!)

What you have there is called 'patina'.

Decorators spend £1000's trying to recreate it !

If you patch repair it you will ALWAYS have a very visible patch.

IMO. Leave it as it is, or just re-varnish the whole floor if you must.

I was going to use 60 but have decided to use 120 grade which seems to work pretty well. What I don't want to do is loose the patina but do want to shift the grey layer of dirt. I have just had a session with the belt sander and I am pretty happy with the results. Because it does strip the wood too quickly I can see how it is progressing and stop before it goes too far. I have also been using a delta sander to get into those areas the belt sander wont reach. I wouldn't want to do a whole floor like this but for a couple of square metres it is fine.

Thanks for the advice I'll post an after shot when it is finished in the next day or so.

Sponsored Links
Just put a couple of coats of varnish down and it is looking much better, I haven't lost the patina but it has got rid of the grey and brought the colour back. I could have used a heavier grade of sander belt and bought it back closer to the condition of the wood nearest the camera (which is usually covered by a rug) but then it would have looked out of place against the rest of the floor and in any event I think I prefer the "well used" look.

I'll now give the other tired patches the once over.

DSCF7890.JPG

JasperW,
Well done that looks great, & you did it with a belt sander - Oh I've just read that you didn't do the whole floor but anyway its still an excellent job.
Doing whole floors with a belt sander is obviously doable but needs a DIY'er with a young fit back.

AAMOI: the transition between the tile and the wood should typically have a transition strip otherwise one or the other will chip - having said that, your join line looks to be fine.

Looks good

I had my parquet professionally done and the guy said that it is better (and cheaper!) to ring him when the floor gets a little worn so he can just sand down the top rather than wait for actual wear which needs the whole lot doing

Vinn,

Re the transition strip, both floors have been down since 2006. The kitchen floor is limestone from Fired Earth and has been really hard wearing, no cracks or chips. I have not had any problem with the join between wood and stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back