Tidying up this socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - new user here. I've just spent the last 12 months or so renovating an old house. I wish I knew about this website back at the start, as I'm sure you would've save me a few £!

Please look at the pictures below. Believe it or not, these plugs were sat under an unsealed shower tray! :eek: We were scratching our heads for a couple for weeks trying to work out why the electrics kept tripping whenever we used the shower!! The house used to be owned by an old fella, and apparently his son put this shower in for him. I can only assume he was trying to bump his dad off!

Anyway, the shower has now been removed and we've just had the area skimmed. I'm in the process of replacing all the old scuzzy face plates, and would like to tidy this one up.

The house has a couple of out buildings, which we recently reconnected an old electricity supply to, connected through this face plate (I believe this is the cable on the left).

The issue I have is that I cannot find anywhere that sells a 2 gang fuse holder. Is there anything else I can use? I don't have any objection to having a single socket alongside, but it's not really necessary. I'd prefer not to have a fuse holder with a switch as I'm sure the children would take great joy in turning off the power to the out buildings when I'm pottering in the shed!

Any advice appreciate - thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Any ideas on anything more affordable?

Yes, simply swop the double back box for a single one!

EDIT
I HATE plasterers who skim up to sockets without removing them, or at least having first loosening them so the plaster goes under the plate.

Sponsored Links
EDIT
I HATE plasterers who skim up to sockets without removing them, or at least having first loosening them so the plaster goes under the plate.

Me too! It's very annoying. The plasterer did this room more of a favour though, so I shouldn't grumble (luckily he has removed sockets in the other room!)

LAP grid front plate £1.39, two blanks at £0.56 each, and socket at £1.82, fuse holder £1.81, switch £1.72 build it as you want not really that expensive all prices from Screwfix.
Purchased - all for just shy of a fiver! Thanks for this. I didn't even know these existed - what a great idea!

What tests did you do before, and after, connecting it to know if it was safe?
We had an electrician come in and reconnect the electricity to the out buildings, adding indoor and outdoor sockets and some lights too. I'd hope that he made sure it was all safe.

Thanks for your input all!

You could get a 20amp double pole key switch module, which would allow you to switch off with a key, to prevent just anyone turning it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back