Tigerloop installation on ancient boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First question here so be gentle with me!

I want to install a new oil tank to replace an elderly steel one. The new location will mean the tank outlet will be below the boiler pump (I estimate it's less than a foot). Although the boiler is around 35 years old it works ok and as we are not planning to stay here for ever I'd rather avoid replacing it ...for now at least.

As the tank outlet will be a bit below the boiler pump I've acquired a Tigerloop but a quick refresher inspection of the pump reveals it's a Danfoss BFP 21 L3. I take it that to fit the return to the Tigerloop I just remove the bypass plug next to the inlet port on the pump and connect the bypass in there?

TIA,
Steve

Sponsored Links
If the oil level in your tank is above the pump you should have no trouble with the pump left as it is. However, if the oil level drops below the pump, you will need to leave the air vent open slightly while it is running until the oil comes out. The BFP 21 L3 comes as standard for a one pip system.
To convert it to two pipe you will need to unscrew the blanking plug situated on the right hand side of the pump, looking at it from tthe back cover, and insert the bypass screw which should have come with the pump, usually in a little plastic transparent bag. The plug on the bottom of the pump that you refer to is the outlet for the return pipe.

THe Danfoss pump will pull oil up on a single pipe system the 1 ft that you describe should not cause any problem, however I would recommend fitting an Oil non-return valve at the oil tank to prevent the oil dropping back to the tank while the boiler is switched off for longer periods of time
have a look at BES for a suitable NRV ;)

Sponsored Links
THe Danfoss pump will pull oil up on a single pipe system the 1 ft that you describe should not cause any problem, however I would recommend fitting an Oil non-return valve at the oil tank to prevent the oil dropping back to the tank while the boiler is switched off for longer periods of time
have a look at BES for a suitable NRV ;)

I was contemplating an NRV, I'll have a look at BES - don't suppose you have a quick link to the valve in question do you? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back