Tightening up the nuts when re-fitting radiator - urgent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Urgent because we've been let down & the new carpet is being fitted tomorrow & i want it all back on in time.

I'm asking this because i've bent some of the 10mm copper piping in the past that comes out of the floor (which caused a leak).

I know you can't really tell me precisely how tight them nuts need to be but is there any way you can describe it as i want to get it sorted tonight. I have fear of it not being tight enough & so i then tend to overtighten & that's when the pipe bends. Do you just do it like you would an oil filter on a car - nicely hand tight or do you have to put some decent pressure on it?

All i'm doing is re-fitting.

Also, is PTFE tape required on either the TRV end, the other end or both ends?

In addition if the PTFE tape is required, would you put it around the thread of the radiator itself or the thread on the connector that comes out of the floor?

We were supposed to have a guy coming out at this weekend just gone to do this but it took a text to prompt being told he wanted to reschedule for later this week despite us telling him carpet was coming Weds. So i asked if Mon/Tues was ok so he said Tues night. Time was getting on so i text again which had him responding saying he's 'stuck on a job' so can we re schedule.
Maybe he is stuck on a job but enough delaying is enough delaying & he's ran out of time so i'm going to have a bash myself if any of you guys can help me out :)

Sponsored Links
I did that actually :) That's what i'm talking about - i'm bothered about not doing it tight enough so i keep going & keep going & eventually it's too much.

So how do you know? Are we talking like i say - as you'd do an oil filter, or perhaps a decent tightening on a tap or more than that?

Just so i've something to go off when i have a bash in a mo.

If the pipes already been on before then the olive should already be crushed onto the pipe so you wont need to go too tight, (more than hand tight tho!!)

Bit of PTFE round the olive before you reassemble, get it hand tight and use pliers to tighten up the rest of the way, (maybe half to a full turn) different for every valve/thread type, but you dont need to murder it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. We got there, put the brackets on the wall, fitted the radiator & then thought, it's going to surely be easier for the carpet fitters if we leave it off due to how low the radiator actually sits.

So after all that :LOL: :LOL:

But still, we needed to know for when we do it, which will now be tomorrow so thanks :)

One thing's for sure - we wont be getting that chap out for a job again!

You'd do well to fit the rad and make sure there are no leaks before getting your new carpet fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back