Tile adhesive way too thin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im no expert but ive tiled a few times before without problems. the tiles i have are natural slate of varying thickness, but sharp cut edges, and i bought a large tub of 'sealocrete fix & grout tile adhesive and grout'

I set about starting today, and when i opened the tub it was kinda seperated, liquid on top, i wasnt worried, just gave it a good mix, but even when mixed i noticed it VERY thin, running off the trowel, probably the consistency or double cream or extra thick cream at best, as you can imagine when i tried to start tiling it was very messy and very difficult, so i have just stopped till i get advice....

Has this tub gone off, or expired or something? or is it supposed to be like this? secondly i am stuck in a rural location without a car, so problems like this can totally destory my day of work. any quick fixes to thicken it up? i have about half a bag of powedered regular grout which i thought i might be able to thicken it with, i even have plenty of kitchen stock like flower cornflour etc if thats not rediculous?

While im here i have one other small problem:

I have to tile around and slightly behind an old rayburn fixed in place, theres a big enough gap to slide the tile in a bit so it looks like its tiles behind completely, however (especially with the thin grout) the tile wants to slide down behidn the rayburn completely when i do this, and theres no way to get behind to put a pin or something to support it, any tips on holding this in place?

Sponsored Links
My preference is always to use separate adhesive and grout. I have tried the 'combined' types before and always found them lacking in grip. Like a lot of multi-use products they tend to be a compromise.

thanks, but not much help haha.

i could actually blame my wife, as i sent her to get a tub of tile adhesive and she came home with that, but doesnt help me much just now, was hoping to get most of the tiling done today, and so far i have 2 tiles up which im waiting to see how they stick...

like i said if theres a way to thicken the contents of the tub that would be helpful

Sponsored Links
running off the trowel, probably the consistency or double cream or extra thick cream at best

Sounds like rubbish. You'd be better off buying something in a bag, that you can mix yourself to the consistency you want.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back