Tile cutter advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What tile cutter would you recommend to cut 600x300 porcelain floor tiles? Nothing expensive, just cheap and cheerful would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Montolit Masterpiuma.

You'll need a big one to do 600mm+ diagonals.

Ideally you should be using a wet saw though.

Sponsored Links
Montolit Masterpiuma.

You'll need a big one to do 600mm+ diagonals.

Ideally you should be using a wet saw though.

Deffo for L shaped ones.
Have you thought of hiring one fora few days?

I have, the ones perfect for the job start at £83 so best to buy own which I could use to tile the bathroom next.

Tile blade on grinder.

That's a good idea.. its just the dust that goes everywhere.. I know the DIY tile cutters also space water everywhere..

You might also be able to pickup a dv200 1000 on eBay. They don't lose much value secondhand.

NOTE _ just a DIYer,
i used a basic tile cutter many years ago to cut 600x600 300x600 and 300x300 tiles - i think we had 3 different sizes for a bathroom , which my brother fitted , for both kitchen and bathroom
just used something like this - https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing...rs/electric-tile-cutters/electric-cutter-450w

then recently used a grinder for porcelain tiles - chipped a little bit , however for a bathroom earlier this year i used a borrowed version purchased from B&Q - brother-in-law of the topps tile cutter, just purchased a good quality blade from screwfix, as the blade use was unknown
https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing...rs/electric-tile-cutters/electric-cutter-450w

you will see the same style in toolstation, B&Q - i think they are just rebadged
also do slightly more power versions

The porcelain tiles are quite hard to cut , and with the grinder not as good as i would have liked, BUT all hidden anyway.
I would certainly prefer the Wet Cutter, managed quite a few very accurate complicated cuts

i think if i was starting over, i would probably go for the 650W version, a lot of the reviews earlier in year, mentioned water going everywhere, which it did, so i just setup the cutter on a workmate with a plastic sheet over the workmate going all the way down to ground and used it outdoors in the open.

it would get very messy indoors.

BUT
Not a professional, just a DIYer

Alternatively

Festool DSC-AG 125- it is a diamond saw that connects to a dust extractor and runs on a guide rail.

https://www.festool.co.uk/products/...tem/574807---dsc-ag-125-plus-gb-240v#Overview

It will cut up to 23mm deep.

If you want a wet diamond cutter that will not soak the floor then look at a radial saw. eg.

https://tools4trade.co.uk/products/excel-650mm-freestanding-wet-tile-cutter-800w-heavy-duty

BTW, I am not recommending the particular one above, it is just an example of a wet saw that doesn't leave water all of the place. The water resides in the base and is pumped up to the blade, the water runs back down to the base and is then pumped back up.

basic wet cutter - doesn't need to be expensive. Keep it wet for long blade life. Do it outside with plastic/cardboard to contain overspray. The smaller cutters can be as good as the bigger ones as the wheels are thinner and remove less material.

basic wet cutter - doesn't need to be expensive. Keep it wet for long blade life. Do it outside with plastic/cardboard to contain overspray. The smaller cutters can be as good as the bigger ones as the wheels are thinner and remove less material.

But don't they also have lower rated motors and aren't they more inclined to result in a less straight cut?

My aging wet cutter is a Ruby ND180- the first generation on that had the fence that allows you to deal with very wide tiles. I have used it to rip 1400mm tiles and it will only deviate by about 0.5mm over that distance. I honestly do not believe that you can get the same kind of finish from a £50 plasplug wet cutter.

Last edited:
I honestly do not believe that you can get the same kind of finish from a £50 plasplug wet cutter.

well, believe me, you can. I bought one for £29 prob 20 years ago - I remember the price because at the time I thought it wouldn't be much good - and have used it for many, many jobs over the years cutting everything up to 10mm granite and slate. For 600 x 600 I drop it in to a ply plate for extra support. That little wheel only a mm or so wide doesn't take out much material, and you can guide it down a line as straight as you need to. OK, it's slow, and not a pro tool, but for DIY use it's great. It's particularly good for fine delicate work. I can take a 10mm border out of 3 sides of a 110mm sq tile and keep it in one piece (e.g. for slotting under a socket) by cutting multiple slots and snapping out the shards in between.

I also have a much bigger wet cutter, and it never gets used,

I can take a 10mm border out of 3 sides of a 110mm sq tile and keep it in one piece (e.g. for slotting under a socket) by cutting multiple slots and snapping out the shards in between.

But you can do that with any wet cutter. My Rubi allows you to lift the blade cover off, doing that enables me to make cut out in the middle of tiles. Admittedly, you are doing it blind because you have to guess at where the blade will break through. An angle grinder is easier in that respect.

Perhaps I am being overly dismissive of the smaller cutters, in part because I have seen how badly they can cut but, on reflection, perhaps it was down to the tiler rather than the machine.

You cannot beat these for straight clean cuts imho.

I have used the cheaper wet cutters on large format tiles and they do the job as long as you take your time.

Also used a diamond disk on a Dremmel with flex drive for some detail work.

If you're tiling your own house you can take the extra time to get a better finish.

Screenshot_20211104-071551_Samsung Internet.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back