Tile Edge Collapsing!

Sponsored Links
Not really built wrong , it's just the pointing falling out which is a fairly common occurance and easy to replace.
edit : Looking at your last photo is that expanding foam?

Easy to put right - google eaves comb - that`s the way to fill the holes in those profiled tiles : and get that gutter up nearer to the tiles when you`ve done ;)

it is expanding foam, I think the main tile void was filled with foam and then the end of the tile had pointing

the only thing though sitting below the pointing is a membrance, should there be nothing else supporting the pointing?

also Im not sure wether the roof itself is too flat and its the rain running over the end of the tile which is making the pointing fail

do you think the eaves comb solve all this?

Sponsored Links
The purpose of the filler is to prevent ingress from birds, vermin etc.

Eaves comb fillers do this whilst also letting out any water, should any find its way onto the felt.

The gaps should not be filled solid with foam, mortar or otherwise.

Bird comb filler units nailed on top of the fascia will help prevent birds, vermin, wasps etc gaining access to the void beneath the tiles.

If the pitch of the roof is too shallow for the tile and there is wind borne rain penetration at the eaves comb fillers will not prevent this.

Membrane will not hold the mortar in place it would need to be cement fibre board or similar.

Don't they make proper eaves tiles with a solid edge any more?

Don't they make proper eaves tiles with a solid edge any more?
Roof tile companies used to make proprietary verge and eaves tiles but haven't seen any for sale since i have been in business.

Have removed a fair few from houses build in the '60s and '70s though.

Marley and redland do cloak verge tiles.

Never seen all in one eave tiles only filler units.

never heard of support tray but it looks useful

so in summary it looks as though I have to:

- support the mortar with a cement fibre board
- possibly fit felt support tray?
- re point the tile ends
- fit eaves comb

Is it me? the tiles overhang is too short? However the tray will do it and the gutter is too low ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back