Tile layout question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to tile part of our house but not sure on the tile layout.

In your opinion/experience what would the best way be. And what are the pros and cons?

Here's what I've been thinking (however I have no experience of laying tiles down)

We have been looking at 140x840 wood effect porcelein tiles.

Thanks

Floor_Plan2.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if you are tiling the whole floor area, ideally you want all the tiles running in the same direction.
I personally would start by finding the centre spot of each room. (with bathrooms and kitchen, I would take in to consideration of the appliance, equipment and units in these, with regards to finding centres). Once centres are established then you want either set out using a full tile or half tile start (half tile, does not mean cut the tile in half, but lay the tile halfway across the centre line) It maybe that your starting tile starts full way across the length of room and halfway across width of it. Or visa-versa or full tile/full tile or half tile/half tile. The idea is to eliminate any slither cuts around the perimeter of the room.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

happyplumber, would these expansion joints sit at the threshold to every room?

Hi tiletown, I've just added idea number 3, do you mean this way? I see what you are saying, good shout. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back