Tile lippage - is this acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm after some advice. We're having our kitchen redone at the moment and we think the tilers have done a bad job. Firstly, the tiles aren't at right angles to any of the walls in the room. The tiler said they did it via one wall, but I've shown that the entire grid is slightly off axis by around 1.5cm over 3metres. The fitter says we're overthinking it, but I'm annoyed that every angle is off by the same amount.

Secondly, there's lippage all over the place. Despite having used floor leveller, a large number of tiles are not flat so our feet catch the edges. It's just over the width of a bank card, which I've used to demonstrate in the attached photos.

Bearing in mind the tiles laid separately in our bathroom are completely flat, I feel this is just a bad quality job that should be done again. But is this actually an acceptable amount of lippage?

Your advice would be greatly received. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240522_204044.jpg
    20240522_204044.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 20240522_204500.jpg
    20240522_204500.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 20240522_204352.jpg
    20240522_204352.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
If you pay for a pro job, it should be perfect or extremely close to it. Pic 3 seems to show significant lippage in excess of the 1mm that is acceptable for grout lines <6mm. That is not acceptable. State now in no uncertain terms you will not be paying for that quality of tiling - it needs doing again.

You look to have 2 types of tile. 1 has rounded corners while the other has square. Are they also different sizes?

Sponsored Links
Im tiling my bathroom at the moment, Im just a diyer and it is quite hard to avoid lippage but Ive managed to keep it to within about 1mm

the problem Ive found is the tiles are not dead flat and my tile pattern is overlapping brick with 400 x 250 tiles, so getting better than 1mm is pretty impossible

as for layout of the tiles -usually floor tiling is set out with one row and one column taking the best average possible for being parallel

I spent quite a while making sure the tile met at corners with a similar cut and avoiding small slithers

it doesnt look like theyve grouted it up full enough which is probaably not helping

Thank you to all who have replied. We've gone back to thinking that the whole lot needs redoing as we've found a litany of inaccuracies. Most notably, tiles not aligned straight, staircase and gap inconsistencies (as much as 2mm vs 4.5mm). My thinking is that these are all indicators of a poor job, rather than us being too picky, but I'd appreciate the thoughts of any tiles on here.

Attachments

• 20240609_103631.jpg
    20240609_103631.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240609_103957.jpg
    20240609_103957.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240609_103803.jpg
    20240609_103803.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 30
Check that the tiles are all exactly the same size and it's definitely the alignment rather than size

Check that the tiles are all exactly the same size and it's definitely the alignment rather than size
Yep, we checked them all for damage before the job, and they're all exactly the same size.

Didn't he use spacers or levelling systems?
That's not the standard of a pro tiler.
I'm not a pro tiler, so I take my time to get near perfection.
I've seen pros do a bathroom in 2 days perfectly; would take me a week to achieve the same results.
Someone mentioned bent tiles and I can confirm that, especially with modern large tiles which are a bummer to keep flat.
Got to choose each tile to match the bend in the previous one.
Not your case of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back