Tile splashback - remove + retile, Repaint or tile over tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have been trying to work on a really tight budget of £1k to redecorate our knackered kitchen that we've been living with for 8 years this May.

As I'm expecting [a first baby], I'm now in a massive rush to get it done as I know my serious DIY days will be over for a few years due to lack of sleep/time etc!

We have done a lot of prep work ourselves inc. insulating a single brick alcove, getting new power sockets installed and chased into brick and buying a single room heat exchanger fan to remove condensation, as the room has been very damp and cold over the years. My OH has also fitted a better radiator and boxed in ugly pipes. I have also used lining paper to re-do the area over the sink that we stripped to prepare the fan hole and we've skimmed the interior wall completely to fill in chasing and make it look good. Over all this we used Dulux Matt Diamond Trade paint so have tried to do the best job we could.

Now, we hoped once we got to this stage that I could just repaint the tile splash back with Zinsser BIN water based low VOC paint, which is recommended for tiles. I have painted over parts of them about 5 years ago as they had colourful mexican patterns on them but they have since yellowed! Ugh!

Now we've realised that the current units are really just shot and no good for food storage in the coming years and our cooker is knackered so we're getting a new kitchen and are thinking IKEA as we can't afford more than 3k and Wickes has already quoted 6.1k for a basic no fancy interior fittings kitchen!

So that's where we are.

Re- tile splashback, what with getting a new kitchen now. I'm not sure if painting white will suffice, or whether people will think it'll look OK once all accessories are in and wall cabinets? (See 3D pic's of Ikea mock up I've done.)

I'm worried that if we try to remove the tiles (I thought using a multi tool power scraper, it'll wreck my painstaking attempt at lining the wall above and the expensive Dulux paint we painted over it, which looks ok. I know it's sound plaster underneath but the condensation over the years could reveal a crumbly mess and removing old adhesive will require a steamer and will surely take off my lining paper. NB. We didn't re-skim the walls above the tiles due to trying to stay in budget and figuring wall units would go over it.

I'm wondering if we get a pro tiler, how would they approach the situ and how much ballpark would they charge to remove and retile this small area, OR should I attempt to tile over tile seen as it's just 2 rows of well adhered tiles and I want ideally a subway style smaller tile over the top?

View media item 87788View media item 87787View media item 87789 View media item 87790 View media item 87804 View media item 87805 View media item 87798 View media item 87793 View media item 87795 View media item 87796 View media item 87794

Sponsored Links
Run a stanley blade across the top of the tiles and lining paper will not be affected, new tile or upstand can be 10mm higher and hide any damage to wall.
Remove tiles with a hammer and bolster or you will be there all day.
I fitted a similar size kitchen for less than £2,000, from Benchmarxs, with hardwood tops from Selco and included cooker ,hob, extractor fan.

OP, the old rule is to never paint tile or plastic. Neither should you attempt to tile over tile - you will be building in grief for yourselves. As above, remove your tiles.

There are so many other details and aspects to kitchen fitting, plus the unknowns that will surely pop-up once demolition starts, and as you go along.

The pics confuse - have you already removed the units and begun to paint?

It might pay you to go to the Building Forum and take advice and suggestions if you DIY the kitchen.

Hi, great looking kitchen! Good advice on scoring lining paper first. Will have a go when we demolish kitchen. Not ripped out yet, still as in pic's, the designs are just mockups of ikea kitchen we are pretty decided on getting now as need finance and have read good reviews + my Parents have one.

We're just looking for a good fitter now in the Hull area and have an appointment at ikea next Sat to place order and double check door colours etc. Time is of the essence though and I know the best fitters will be booked up for months. :(

Sponsored Links
Replace the tiles. You sound pretty competent to do the job yourself. If you tart up the old ones, it will let the new kitchen down. Don't throw good money after bad and all that - and it sounds like this is a big investment for you. Don't regret it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back