Tile the walls or the floor first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning tiling my ensuite. I have been thinking - do you usually tile the walls first then the floor, or the floor first and then the walls?

I can see its probably walls then floor - maybe due to ease etc, but I think it might make more sense to do the floor first then the walls, as where they meet, water has less chance of following the wall tile down seeping through the grout and straight onto base floor surface (if you get what I mean).

Also, do you guys usually run sealant (silicon etc) on all your inner corners and where floor and wall meet? In a lot of commericial applications they seem to do that and wondered why?

Maybe cos they won't go round sealing tiles every year?

Sponsored Links
We've done both for different customers Kev, some want the wall tiles overlapping the floor with the grout line on the wall, some want the floor tiles upto wall with a grout line on the floor.

I think a lot has to do with colour of tile & the grout also & how they meet up. Whichever way you go you will still end up with splash water dripping down to a grout line but shouldn't seep through unless the grout has been mixed & applied wrong

We have used silicone between edge of ply to wall but completely upto you in the end, its not neccessary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back