Tile under the WC or around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have my floors tiled and have had so much conflicting information. Does the loo sit on top of the tiles or do you cut a hole in the tiles and seat it in the hole? At the moment I have green chipboard, which has replaced the floor boards. I think there will be ply over the top and the tiles are ceramic.

Sponsored Links
Tile underneath the WC for a much better finish :)

Definitely underneath. If you tile up to the WC - then the height of the loo is diminished. Looks rubbish too.

Also, if the toilet pan cracks or whatever, you just unbolt it instead of smashing the tiles around it too, which you will probably not get your hands on again.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the floor is over laid with 15mm exterior plywood or "No-More Ply" These give you a rigid water resistant floor to tile onto. You will still need a "single-part flexible" adhesive and flexible grout (or grout with an additive)

Always take the loo out then tile it looks far far neater and is more hygenic too.

Do you not have to consider the fact that the tiles and the ply etc will raise the height of the toilet and the cistern, so you should be aware that you may have the change the fixing positions etc

You do indeed.
Although if you have a low level toilet instead of a close coupled one, it's a lot easier. ;)

Thanks very much to everyone for their help - all the replies made perfect sense. I now have a new guy installing the bathroom and I couldn't be happier. What a brilliant forum this is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back