tile under toilet pan or round it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of tiling my washroom and small cloakroom toilet.

I have the toilet out and it is going back in the same place.

Does it make any difference if I put it back and tile round the bottom of the pan or if I tile under the pan and then have the toilet sitting on top of the tiles.

Im thinking about putting it on top for neatness but then not sure what I would bed the pan on when I refit it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I haven't came across a pan on top of tiles. Fit the pan first and tile round it.

There is no reason why you shouldn't put the pan on top and it will look better and be easy to tile.

As the toilet is already out I would tile then put the toilet on top.

It will look so much better with the tiles going under the pan. No cutting as well makes it an easier job for you!! :D

Word of caution though, check that your waste pipe is flexible enough to re-attach once the pan has been lifted up.

Sponsored Links
tile the floor, loosely refit the toilet, check that the soil pipe and infil pipe will still connect, with the height difference, if so, pencil a line around the base of toilet, remove and run a decent bead of silicon inside the mark, relace and fit the toilet, drill and screw down. job looks as it should. no unsightly cuts covered with silicon

All the ones ive seen (my house and parents) sit on the flooring, be that tiles, laminate or cork.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back