Tiled Fireplace in Edwardian Breakfast Room - what's behind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

This is my first post on here, although I have found answers to a lot of DIY issues by reading others' experiences. Today I'd like some advice/benefit of experience please. We have moved to this house and this big fireplace with brown tiles is quite a challenge. The initial idea was to paint the tiles using the right paint. I've seen it done next door and the result isn't much prettier than at present. A friend had the idea that the brown tiles might be covering up some nice brickwork, which I think would be a lot more attractive. There are no areas we can chip off without affecting the whole look, so i wonder if anyone has experience with a similar project? or is there another idea we haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• fireplacekitchen.jpg
    fireplacekitchen.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 405
  • fireplacekitchen2.jpg
    fireplacekitchen2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 407
  • fireplacekitchen3.jpg
    fireplacekitchen3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 395
Sponsored Links
I can't offer any specific advice regarding your fireplace, other than the observation that if the house next door has an identical fireplace, it's likely that the houses were built like that, so what you see is what it is. When fireplaces were put in houses for the main heat source, they were commonly tile rather than brick so that they can be cleaned more easily. It's the new 'designer fireplaces' or those built a few hundred years ago, before ceramics were in use that tend to be brick.

if it's an Edwardian house (unless a working man's cottage) that utilitarian fireplace would have been in a kitchen or scullery used by the servants, rather than a reception room. I don't recognise the style, but if you say the neighbours have an identical one, it is most likely to be original unless both the houses were owned by a landlord/estate/council that refurbed them. The cupboards look Edwardian so I'm guessing original.

To me it doesn't look big enough to have had a kitchen range or stove in it.

There is unlikely to be attractive brickwork behind it. If a fireplace was going to cover up the bricks, they would have used up any reject and broken bricks, thrown up by a cheap unskilled man. Only facing brickwork was built to impress.

if it's an Edwardian house (unless a working man's cottage) that utilitarian fireplace would have been in a kitchen or scullery used by the servants, rather than a reception room. I don't recognise the style, but if you say the neighbours have an identical one, it is most likely to be original unless both the houses were owned by a landlord/estate/council that refurbed them. The cupboards look Edwardian so I'm guessing original.

To me it doesn't look big enough to have had a kitchen range or stove in it.

There is unlikely to be attractive brickwork behind it. If a fireplace was going to cover up the bricks, they would have used up any reject and broken bricks, thrown up by a cheap unskilled man. Only facing brickwork was built to impress.

Thanks for your reply, John. The two houses appear to be individual: there are no others of the same pattern in the area and this one has always been owner-occupied. There is a servants' bell in the living room, so you're right. this wasn't the showy part of the house. Sadly that also means the chimney underneath probably isn't worth looking at.

Sponsored Links
I think they are salt glazed bricks. Came in a kit with the correct number/shape for the fireplace.

Personally I think it looks great as it is, I'd keep it and focus on everything around it.
^This.
You have some wonderful original features, and I would maintain the history of your house where ever you can.

Finally the fireplace is finished. We decided to paint over the tiles and the grout lines, using Johnstone's Vinyl Matt in Farrow and Ball Down Pipe colour. I painted on some PVA first to give a base coat and it has adhered well, but obviously won't stand up to many knocks. The cupboard doors have been replaced, without the glazed panels. They are Painted in Johnstone's Water-based Acrylic Satin in Little Greene Slaked Lime deep. I think it's a vast improvement, thanks to everyone who offered advice
DownPipeFireplace2.JPG
DownPipeFireplace1.JPG
fireplacekitchen.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back