Tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just created a new shower room down stairs. The floor is green chip board. With a marley floor drain in it. I have covered the floor with floor tiles and sealed the wall tiles to the floor with a good quality silicon. Shower worked great, stuart turner 4 bar pump to 2 ceiling roses and 4 body jets.
So far you wondering why is he telling me this?
Well I used a BAL micro flexible waterproof swimming pool grout on the floor. This it turns out is neither flexible or waterproof. I know this because after using the shower twice the floor tiles have lifted. Upon inspecting the floor I found the grout had cracked. Thus allowing some of the deluge of water to leak under the tiles and lift them.
So my question is. Has anyone got any recomendations on a flexible waterproof grout?
Oh I didn't add any flexible stuff to the mix. Should I try that in with the flexible grout?
Someone help me please. Me Mrs is doing her nut. I need to get it finished. Thanks in advance. Chris. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ok I've realised the error of my ways. I'm going to rip up the chipboard (&tiles)and concrete the area. Do I still need to use the rubber stuff on the floor? Or will swimming pool grout be ok?

You still need to tank it.

"waterproof" when talking about grout means that it will not be damaged by water it does not mean it provides a water resistant barrier.

You should also tank the walls or at the very least turn the floor tanking 300mm up the wall.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Ok. So here's my new plan. ( I knew I shouldn't have started working at home.) I'm ripping up the floor. Lowering the whole thing by about 150mm. Fitting a sanishower pwaste pump. Taking the bottom row of tiles. Putting in a new concrete floor. Tanking the new floor and at least 300mm up the walls. Tiling the floor. Then the bottom row of tiles. Any recomendations as to the floor adhesive to use? and which grout? I have BAL swimming pool flexi stuff at the moment. Thanks guys. CHris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back