Tiler who won't silicone?

Sack them both I meant to add. Pair of wasters. There's stacks of unemployed tilers and plumbers out there who would be glad of a job.

Sponsored Links
Not a bad suggestion Seafarer; the tiler should definitely go, but the plumber could have been a bit more helpful, so he's a candidate for dismissal as well.

The only places I've not seen a tiler silicone his own joints has been on big jobs where it obviously pays the main contractor for a few days at the end of the project to do all the joints (tiles, floors, stairs, counters, etc). The mastic man is fast, neat and carries all the colours you'd ever need - but he needs a reasonable quantity to go at to make it worth his while turning up to start with. I'm a joiner and I carry a Fugi kit in the van for when I have to do it - still don't enjoy it, but if it's how the job needs to be finished I'll do it.
Sack them both I meant to add. Pair of wasters. There's stacks of unemployed tilers and plumbers out there who would be glad of a job.
Really? Where? I've found it pretty hard to get and retain decent trades more recently - yes, there's a lot of guys out there - but there are not that many of the good ones that you can afford your bloody minded attitude (case in point - try getting even a decent labourer). I understand that something will need to be done about the tiler - but you can't really expect a plumber to come back to a job after he's finished to finish off someone else's work, can you? I think the OP needs to have a quiet chat with the tiler about what's expected and that if he can't deliver it will be arrivederci.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might it simply be the case that the tiler didn't want to have to return the next day for 30 mins f work?

Alternatively, perhaps he knows his limitations. I would rather he was honest, that said, I would prefer to use one who can silicone- Most plumbers that I know should not be allowed near a tube of silicone.

Sponsored Links
Tilers job.

Say a shower tray has been put in I would silicone the vertical faces of the tray where it buts up to the hardie backer board.

The tiler then does his tiling and should finish with a bead of silicone where the tiles meet the right angle formed with the tray. It's the tilers job to provide a good finish
I suspect he can't do a good job as it's only a few minutes work ......He should bloody well learn how to do it !

He who pays the piper picks the tune !!!!

That's just bloody lazy it's the tilers job since when is a tilers work a plumbers responsibility and I'm a bloody electrician.

You can get Tile trims for the bath tub to Tile now which replaces silicone looks nicer and does not involve the silicone needing redoing.

Sounds like a right cowboy.

I fit electric showers and charge an extra £150 to put it a new cold water supply to the shower from the bath cold pipe. I'm not a plumber but I do it to make the customer happy and I do better jobs than a lit of plumbers I know.

He obviously has no passion for his job or conscience regarding his client

It's a plumbers job to waterproof things. IMO. Tigers don't understand water.
Edit. As they live in the jungle!

I had a plumber in my house when he cross threaded a gland on water descaler he just left the house Quick it was not weeping it was gushing out the bottom. And HE was gas,safe registered since then I stopped getting a plumber and done it myself.

You have new,tiles fitted that join the bath no pipes are involved. So he should seal it takes,about 20 mins max to silicone nicely.

It's bad practice and that's,why I get loads of work because even when I Chisel down the walls for cable installations I Plaster over the channeling to help finish it off.

Im not a plasterer but customers love a helpful and tidy tradesman

Might it simply be the case that the tiler didn't want to have to return the next day for 30 mins f work?

Alternatively, perhaps he knows his limitations. I would rather he was honest, that said, I would prefer to use one who can silicone- Most plumbers that I know should not be allowed near a tube of silicone.

I had a plumber who should not have been a plumber full stop. I had,a,gas leak on the boiler due to gland not tightened and had to call emergency gas safe engineer.... And this guy was gas,safe registered.

Plus an isolating valve tap was dripping had to change it myself

I had a plumber who should not have been a plumber full stop. I had,a,gas leak on the boiler due to gland not tightened and had to call emergency gas safe engineer.... And this guy was gas,safe registered.

Plus an isolating valve tap was dripping had to change it myself

There was a case of some bloke went into hospital and had the wrong leg amputated. Also some who have been given the wrong medication and snuffed it . Also the wrong dosage of radiation and have snuffed it.

some people have been wrongly convicted of crimes and spent years in prison . ect ect

mistakes happen and the above may put your gas weep into perspective ?? may be?????

Are you confusing tigers with lions? Grew up watching too many Tarzan movies perhaps?

Tigers can swim. I think that it is safe to say that they understand water, in as much as they understand how to successfully move through large bodies of it.

Are you confusing tigers with lions? Grew up watching too many Tarzan movies perhaps?

Tigers can swim. I think that it is safe to say that they understand water, in as much as they understand how to successfully move through large bodies of it.
Bloody autocorrect. I meant tigers!

Sponsored Links
Back