Tiles access panel without using mirror screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fixing access hatch on tiled bath panel but using concealed fixings. Any ideas?

Thinking of using magnetic catches and white sealant around the edges of the panel to match grout. Touch latch sprang to mind but with kids about it would probably get opened in error and fall on the floor.

Sponsored Links
Magnetic catches would work, I'm sure, but as they have a bit of built-in wobble, would you consider embedding a rare earth magnet in each corner, with a corresponding steel washer screwed in place.

You could also consider leaving some clue that it's an access panel, in case you're not around when the access is needed.

Concealed cabinet hinges as used in kitchens and bedroom furniture. By using this type of hinge you will have no need for magnetic catches etc.

Deluks - spring gripper catches, roller catches, double ball roller catches, heavy duty touch catches or any of the magnetics would do the trick for a push-in pull-out hatch. For something a bit more swish - a variation on aw's excellent hinge idea ... a spring assisted top flap hinge.

Sponsored Links
I had considered the kitchen hinge idea, but I can foresee and hinged door getting broken off by a clumsy oaf of a plumber who might need to get to the pipes. Removable is preferable.

I like the rare earth magnets plan, but how to actually get a grip of the panel to remove it in the first place? Leverage at the edge with a screwdriver, I am guessing?

The homeowner will have the set up explained to them, plus the use of silicone or acrylic sealant in place of grout will give a clue as to there being a panel there.

It’s my personal opinion that grouting and sealing the access panel is a very, very bad idea. Is it not the idea his that any access panel can be made easily opened in case of emergency? In the same way that you can foresee and hinged door getting broken off by a clumsy oaf of a plumber then can you not foresee the same plumber will attack each tile in turn trying to find the access panel ? And will the same oaf of a plumber finds the access panel will he will he gently remove the sealant using a wrecking bar ?

Any access panel that is there for maintenance purposes needs to be easily opened with out the need for additional trades involved to make the access good afterwards, but at the same time needs to be discreet. The client needs to know its position and how it operates. The method that you are considering you will need to inform the client;

I/ Remove the sealant from around the access panel using a very sharp knife.

2/ Place a fine bladed screw driver in the gap that is exposed , and very carefully ease the panel away attempting not to damage any of the tiles.

3/ Explain to the client that if any of the tiles are damaged during this process that the complete bathroom will need to be re-tiled as the old tiles wont be available due to them going out of production.

Have a look at this guide of the construction of a concealed cabinet, you may find some part of it that can be adapted to suite your needs (note the push to open hinges and the tile trim)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back