tiles don't meet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am such an idiot.

Started tiling bottom section of one wall then - skipped to wall by door and wall next to it and I've just realised they're a different height :oops:

I've got a diff of 15mm to make up on the final wall but prob it's the wall with a big window - so a difference in height of individual tiles is really gonna show. Particularly as the bath is also under the window.

Short of getting bolser and hammer and hacking off most of the tiling I've just done is there any thing I can do? - I'm gutted. Took so much time over the prep - had lines everywhere just to check wouldn't have any small bits of tile here and there - I've followed the wrong line.... any advice v welcome.

Sponsored Links
Query closed - I removed the tiles on the wall with the shower fixture - it's not ideal but better than bodging around the window I'd always know it was there.

Giving up for today - back to it tomorrow night... :( going to have a very busy few evenings/nights - plumber's due for 2nd fix on Friday and I'm only about 1/4 done -

How quickly can I grout? -

There probably isn't a pro on here who hasn't grouted a few live tiles (or, at least, ones that didn't move when blown on).

From the sounds of it most of the work will have been sitting for the required 24hrs anyway, it'll only be the tiles you've laid at the end of the job that may still be a bit wet.

As far as I'm concerned, providing you're not using an epoxy grount or similar on a totally impervious surface (such as old tiles) any moisture in the adhesive will come out if even if you grout the tiles as soon as they are solid as opposed to totally dry.

Sponsored Links
There probably isn't a pro on here who hasn't grouted a few live tiles (or, at least, ones that didn't move when blown on).

From the sounds of it most of the work will have been sitting for the required 24hrs anyway, it'll only be the tiles you've laid at the end of the job that may still be a bit wet.

As far as I'm concerned, providing you're not using an epoxy grount or similar on a totally impervious surface (such as old tiles) any moisture in the adhesive will come out if even if you grout the tiles as soon as they are solid as opposed to totally dry.

i am with Paul on this, just get the tiles on, give them 30-45 mins then grout them. Job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back