Tiles laid in wrong pattern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of getting my bathroom redone. The contractor has started to tile the walls. At first, I thought it looked odd as the grout hasn't been added. But I now see he hasn't quite laid it in the brick bond pattern I requested (it's slightly off-centre).

And not all the rows are consistent with one another.

How easy would this be to fix? Am I right to be concerned? I was a bit worried, he hasn't used metro tiles much before.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 15,880
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 15,271
Sponsored Links
Some of those are a mile off, aren't they......it looks like he's started from the corner!
Depending on how long the tiles have been on, and the adhesive that's been used it could be possible to lever the tiles off and clean up the wall. Personally I wouldn't want it left like that.
John :)

As above if mastic adhesive was used.
But given the amount of trouble and perhaps expense involved in taking them all off and doing it again I'd leave them in place - after a week or so you wont notice the perps.

However, the bottom course is sitting on the bath rim - no room for silicone.
The taps are at an angle.
If needed, how will you access below the taps (& perhaps the waste & o/flow) - can you approach from the other side of the wall?
The wall (the bathroom) should have been painted before tiling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I think I will ask him to redo it. He hasn't done the majority of the walls yet & I was hoping the bathroom refurb would add value to my flat when I sell it next year.

John - the first batch went on Friday, the second yesterday. Hopefully it can be removed without too much trouble?

Vinn - hopefully it will be possible to access everything via the front bath panel.

I spoke to the builder today. He said it is because the wall isn't straight especially at the bottom rows. That it widens out. Is that a plausible excuse? I really don't know what to think.

The wall is straight enough, looking at the edge of the bath. The bond verticals need to be kept in line more. Look at the second pic, second row up......the corner tile is huge compared with the others, so the tiles are all bumped along too much.
John :)

No it's a poor excuse as that would not prevent him from fixing the tiles in the proper pattern.You can see where he's gone wrong in the first 2 or 3 rows.

Poor excuse,, he obviously didn't get the lines sorted,, get your central line and work from that, then the cuts should be pretty much even on each side, the only time you would deviate from that rule is if you are going to have tiny slithers of tile on each end. That is basic tiling for you.

oh deary me.
if youve already picked it up,it wont get any better when its finished.
as above,center line and work backwards,then if it leaves a slither work it back to lose it.

dont forget,no excuses.his cock up he pays.

Another handy man job.

Good luck in changing the taps when they need replacing.

Andy
Its not luck they will need but a miracle or a fully trained plumbing ferret:D, the bath will need to come out if no access from the other side of the wall.
It wont be a problem for the op but one for the new owner when the property is sold unless its picked up before a sale and used as a lever to reduce an offer.
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back