Tiles too heavy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me if this is a silly question but I'm thinking of completely tiling a second floor bathroom - that is wall tiles, floor tiles, even tiles instead of a bath panel. The floor is wooden, not concrete. Is there any danger that tiling throughout might too heavy for the structure to bear? As always, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the tiles, cheap 6x6 crystals are only 4mm thick so are a lot lighter than trying to stick 12mm natural stone to the walls.

Will also depend on weather the walls are just studs or loadbearing, joist spans, other imposed loads such as free standing cast iron baths.

Jason

Softus said:
Is this room already a bathroom?

Yes, it is, Softus. It also has a cast iron bath in it (turquoise) that I'll be replacing with one made of steel.

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
Depends on the tiles, cheap 6x6 crystals are only 4mm thick so are a lot lighter than trying to stick 12mm natural stone to the walls.

Will also depend on weather the walls are just studs or loadbearing, joist spans, other imposed loads such as free standing cast iron baths.

Jason

Jason, I don't intend putting natural stone on the walls but more probably larger tiles with a limestone 'look' to them. Good question about the walls. One is an external wall, one a breeze-block party wall, and the other an internal solid wall but only partially supported by a wall below. I assume there's a joist :oops: The fourth wall is just stud but it's the one with the door in it, so only half full of tiles. It's not a large bathroom.

Hi NickStone,
Yes, I know how old this post is but is your house intact or did the bathroom fall through to the ground floor? I ask because I'm facing a similar problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back