Tiling a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum ,

I heard that Unibond anti-mould adhesive/grout is best for bathroom, but my tiler said it takes longer for him to do and it dries quicker. He mentioned that he uses Tilemake product? His charge for putting tile up the wall is £30/square meter. Can I have your views please. thanks

Sponsored Links
Wrong Forum but never mind. Unibond is a popular retail DIY product but not a serious contender in the trade stakes & some would say totally unsuitable. No serious tradesman would use a combined adhesive/grout product either. I only ever use BAL products, this for grout;

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex

not cheap but you get what you pay for. No idea about Tilemake product.

Richard, thanks for your help.
We spoke to our tiler today who suggested to tile the new tiles over the old ones, ie not removing the old tiles. what is your thought?

Wrong Forum but never mind. Unibond is a popular retail DIY product but not a serious contender in the trade stakes & some would say totally unsuitable. No serious tradesman would use a combined adhesive/grout product either. I only ever use BAL products, this for grout;

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex

not cheap but you get what you pay for. No idea about Tilemake product.

You can tile over old tiles depending on how far they will stick out (like around taps and corners). Like I have said before on the tile forum if you use good quality adhesive and grout (Bal products and Mapei products then you will have no problems) The price per sq2 metre depends on the size of the tile used. The smaller the tile the higher the price, I always work on an hourly price so it doesn't matter what size the tile is. But I can always give references for previous jobs that I have done, be it tiling or plastering so as long as the customer trusts the tradesman then there is no problem with them employing them. Always ask the tradesman what the last job he did was!(And check him out if you dont believe him) I am sorry it has come to this but there are a lot of people out there that are ready to take your money off you. Luckily I am living in a place where it has not come to this yet . But it will come!!

Sponsored Links
regardless of what anyone says the 100% best way to tile is remove the old tiles first, start afresh get the job done properly, its better in the long run.

run away from anything remotly that says on the tub / packet adhesive - grout mix, its rubbish and not worth the money you pay.

also while were on it stay away from unibond too its sh*te adhesive.

£30 per sqm seems about right, does that include materials? (obviously not tiles too!)

never used tilemake so cant comment

Sorry didn’t get back, was out all day yesterday. Sound advice from Roy c + Jefoss, if not a little outspoken :LOL: ; I’m always a little nervous about making product “comments” on an open forum mate, you never know who's watching. :confused:

As stated, you can tile over tiles but it is a bit of a bodge really & some poor soul is going to have to deal with in the future; just hope its not you! Having said that, I will own up to doing it on the enclosed end wall of a shower only recently :eek: . Unusually for a mass developer, estate type house the tiles were so well fixed on the rest of the walls, I ended up having to replace all the base coat on the bottom half of the room & do a full re-skim but being ½ tiled, no question, they had to come off. It was obvious, however, that just getting a start on the end wall so I could get under the tiles would leave it in a real mess &, with permission, committed the deadly sin. :oops:

Tiles must be securely fixed & reasonably flat & it’s essential to prep it correctly & use a quality trade products. Providing it’s used correctly, you won’t have any problems with any of this stuff;

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products

Don't do that Jef - I'm off on hols on Thurs for 2 weeks.... the place needs ya.

hmmm i dont recall seeing a holiday form! and the diynot rules state it has to be signed by 3 members of more than at least one year in!

So sack me! I'm going anyway. :p

hmm you are close to being sacked, if memory served you upset someone a while back now this. mr GC we will seriously have to have a look at your performance, im thinking about cutting your diynot pay!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back