Tiling a floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I have marked the centre point of the floor (small hallway by front door) ready for tiling but then a friend came round and said that this would leave me with small sizes of tile by the doorway into the living room and it is a bad idea to have small sized tiles in high traffic areas as they can be worked loose.

Would you agree with this or not.

Cheers, Crofty

Sponsored Links
Would you agree with this or not.
What small tile size are we talking about? Thin tile slivers are generally not a good idea in a high traffic area such as a door threshold but it should not be a problem as long as you use quality trade materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base. There are general rules for tile layout but sometimes you need to break them in order to get the get the best visual layout; usually the bit that hits your eyes as you walk into the room has to look right but it’s impossible to quantify without seeing the room layout. More importantly, what’s your floor type, concrete or suspended timber? & if suspended. what type of timber?

Tiling isn’t rocket science but there are many things that can catch you out & suspended timber floors in particular need special consideration. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. You can post more info on here for step-by-step advice once you decide the type & size tiles you will be laying. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Sponsored Links
All down now. Just got to seal/impregnate the tiles and grout. They ain't half brittle tiles though these travertine ones. Luckily the ones that snapped I've managed to use for the corners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back