Tiling up to laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks ,
I am about to start tiling our upstairs bathroom . Its very small , only 2 metres by 1.5 metres . I am hoping to tile right down to the laminate floor , which I am about to put down . Will I be able to tile directly onto the floor , or should I leave a small gap , and fill it with grout , or sealant . The tiles are slate 15 cm by 15 cm .

Sponsored Links
is the joint going to meet in something as silly as a doorway?

get a doorway strip, goto the local tiler store and pick out one that matches the colours you have!

JEFFOS ,
I think we`ve got our wires crossed ! :confused: - I`ll be laying the laminate in the bathroom , and tiling the walls - well the bottom half of them anyway ! I`m just worried that if I tile right down to the floor will I have a problem if the floor springs or expands - hope this makes sense :D

JEFFOS ,
I think we`ve got our wires crossed ! :confused: - I`ll be laying the laminate in the bathroom , and tiling the walls - well the bottom half of them anyway ! I`m just worried that if I tile right down to the floor will I have a problem if the floor springs or expands - hope this makes sense :D

i see now!

is the floor down already?

if so just tile down and grout in, you can use the usual wooden mini skirting, i find they dont look too bad and are easy to fit.

and to answer your question in a work yes you can tile right down, jsut looked again at your question, my mistake! didnt read it properly!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that .
In answer to your question , no the floor isnt down yet . My plan was to lay the floor , then tile directly onto it ( I thought this might look neater than using the wooden beading , as the tiles are textured , and filling the gap might look messy . )
Do you think it would be better to tile first , then fit the floor after .?

From my personal experience only lay laminate floors in places were water is not present, as eventually the laminate will blow at the joints. I know you can seal/glue these, but personally I only ever put laminate floors down in bedrooms now.

HTH

Jeremy

ive got laminate in my bathroom, and as long as you dont get the cheap nasty stuff you can use it anywhere.

it is a lot better to do the floor last yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back