Tiling around curved shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surely there must be an easy way, or even a difficult way, to fit tiles neatly around a quadrant? It must have been done so many times. Is it better to cut with a saw freehand, or use small straight cuts somehow? Tiles in question are 40cm x 40cm and about 6mm thick.
I would have put them down before the tray but the instructions (for the tray) said not.
If anyone can give me the brilliantly simple solution I have obviously missed I would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Tile up to the tray as far as you can with full size tiles. Then make individual templates for each cut tile (I use thickish lining paper).
Make the curved cuts freehand with a diamond blade in an angle grinder.
Quite easy really.

Thanks for the info - I thought there must be a way but the (pro) guy I have asked to do it reckons he won't be able to cut it neat enough and will have to add a 'trim', which in my opinion would ruin the look of what is quite a smart tray. Is this what you would do or do you just grout/silicone between tile and tray?

It won't be a tight curve so it should be no problem. Get it as close as possible, silicone the gap and you shouldn't see any evidence of a cut.

Sponsored Links
but the (pro) guy I have asked to do it reckons he won't be able to cut it neat enough and will have to add a 'trim', which in my opinion would ruin the look of what is quite a smart tray. Is this what you would do or do you just grout/silicone between tile and tray?

If your "pro" can't do it then I suggest you get another.I havent been a tiler that long but I have cut around toilets,curved shower trays,radiator pipes and soil pipes,even round an already wall mounted sink or too.
I have never had a problem getting the fit good enough to seal with silicon.
As gcol suggested a template from thick paper or card and then I make several cuts up to the mark then nip out with tile nippers.It takes time and patience but is part of the wonderful world of tiling.

IMO beading is a last measure or for someone who can't cut tiles :LOL:

That's disappointing but thanks a lot for all of your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back