tiling around extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some 10x10 tiles today and should start tiling next weekend.

I have a curved 90cm glass chimney in the kitchen, what is the best way to tile so that it looks good?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
More details needed.

With a flat extractor, you can tile striaght up to it, but i have a curved one. I dont want the tiles to go past the glass part but eed it above the bottom of the wall unit. Finish the top row flat wouldnt look good as it doesnt follow the lines of the extractor

Does this make any more sense, probably not

Sponsored Links
Without a doubt I would disconnect and take the extractor off the wall.
When tiling is complete then refit it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Depending on what tiles you are using,if they are thin ceramics you may be able to cut curves using a scriber.if they are thicker you will need a wet saw and possibly some tile nippers,also a profiler would be handy and a grinder with a diamond blade.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/160mm-Contour...hash=item250269064895&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

I have a profiler and wet saw.

Didn't really want to cut them, was thinking of possibly laying them out, without any cuts, so like 2 tiles on the top row, 4 on the next, etc etc to create a pyramid type effect

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
b21playa, I wouldn't bother doing that stepped layout - you might think it'll look ok, but people will think that you can't tile and that you just left it like that rather than trying to follow the profile.
If you don't want to tile behind the extractor, then you should really try and get a tight fit against the glass.

I see you and I have the same excellent taste in BnQ units. ;)

Take the extractor off, tile and refit.

Can't believe anyone would suggest otherwise, much easier, and will look the business.

i would re strip the kitchen right back to nothing, tile the floor wall to wall, then tile each wall with desired tiles, then refit all the units etc.

then post a question is tools and hardware, ive got an extractor that needs fitting, what type of drill do i use?

then post a question in tiling, ive got an extractor that needs fitting, what type of drill bit do i use?

then another question in tools, do i need a spirit level?

then post a question on a house cleaning site, ive got an extractor that is fitted, what sort of vacuum should i use to clean it up with?

:LOL:

i would re strip the kitchen right back to nothing, tile the floor wall to wall, then tile each wall with desired tiles, then refit all the units etc.

then post a question is tools and hardware, ive got an extractor that needs fitting, what type of drill do i use?

then post a question in tiling, ive got an extractor that needs fitting, what type of drill bit do i use?

then another question in tools, do i need a spirit level?

then post a question on a house cleaning site, ive got an extractor that is fitted, what sort of vacuum should i use to clean it up with?

:LOL:

You is one crazy man :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I dont want the tiles to go past the glass part but eed it above the bottom of the wall unit. Finish the top row flat wouldnt look good as it doesnt follow the lines of the extractor

Does this make any more sense, probably not

Take the extractor off, tile and refit.

Can't believe anyone would suggest otherwise, much easier, and will look the business.

Trazor,the reason it was suggested was because in the original post b21playa said they did not want the tiles to go past the glass section of the extractor so removing it would serve no purpose :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back