Which size spirit level for tiling floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a good quality spirit level(s) to help me tile our new kitchen floor (30m2) with large porcelain tile (90cm x 45cm).
What size(s) would be most useful and can you recomend a particular level(s).
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am looking to buy a good quality spirit level(s) to help me tile our new kitchen floor (30m2) with large porcelain tile (90cm x 45cm).
What size(s) would be most useful and can you recomend a particular level(s).
Thanks
I would have thought that once the floor is down the tiles are basically going on it however it is... cant use a spirit level to get them square with the walls!

Generally I like to have a 10" or so level (pence) a 2/3ft level and a 6ft level to hand but although ive not done a lot i wouldnt have said it was a staple for tiling?

Daniel

You want your floor flat - not level. Level the floor BEFORE you even think about tiling.

The floor is already flat and level (screed over wet UFH)
I want to make sure I've got the right tools to do the job as well as possible because we can't afford to pay anyone to do it

Sponsored Links
I want to make sure I've got the right tools to do the job as well as possible because we can't afford to pay anyone to do it

Can you afford to pay for it (materials) again if you get it wrong ?.
Tiles that size- wont take long for a good tiler to do.

You don't need a spirit level then. What do you intend doing with it anyway? :confused:

making sure the tiles are flat and level to each other?
do you do it all by eye?

you use a notched trowel to spread the adhesive, this gives complete coverage with no voids but also means the adhesive is a uniform thickness. when you lay your tiles into it, if your floor is flat then they will be roughly level - you push lightly down to bring it level with the next tile - by eye. use spacers and chalk lines on the floor to keep straight.

read the tiling sticky if you havent already, make sure you set out (dry) properly first.

one final thing, be very careful which adhesive you select as you have a UFH system. it will need to be flexible and the slab will need to be cold before tiling. leave it off for at least 48 hours after tiling before slowly bringing it to temperature.

is it a pumped screed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back