Tiling around toilets and sinks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a newish house (2 years old) and when we bought it the builders had already put the dreaded carpet in the bathroom! We hate it and have now decided to replace it.

I just wanted to know, should I raise the toilet and put the tiles underneath or should I tile around it? I know it sounds like a dumb question but every DIY store I go to has toilets and sinks that are not fixed down.

If (as I suspect) I need to raise them, should there be enough give in the toilet fixings to allow a raise or will I need to readjust it all?

The carpet is fitted around the toilet and sink pedestal.

Sponsored Links
The toilet bowl should be easy to lift but you might not be able to raise the pedestal under the sink so easy

that's what I thought. The pedestal is not too bad as it is a removable one i.e. it is not attached to the sink. However I may need to have it ground down or whatever you do it.

You will probably have to extend the pipes to the loo and basin unless there is some play under the floor. The loo waste may require an off set pan connector to compensate for the increased height.

Make sure that they tiled the walls behing the basin & cistern before you raise them up. You will need to allow for overboarding with ply as well as the thickness of tile & adhesive if going onto a chipboard floor.

Jason

Sponsored Links
regarding pedestal an basin above ,
dont even think of grinding the pedastal as it will smash ,
just unscrew the two holding screws under behind the taps an lift ped an basin away,
tile ........resit on "plumbers mait "an screw down ped to tile floor, rawl plug, screw down with rubber grommits /tap washers ,
postion basin against wall ,
mark an remove ,
drill,rawl plug wall ,
postion basin back on ped on "plumbers mait" cushion ,
refit taps connectors (not forgetting valves )
an waste an overflow ...
cup of tea ...
jobs a good un ;)

Hi,

I live in a newish house (2 years old) and when we bought it the builders had already put the dreaded carpet in the bathroom! We hate it and have now decided to replace it.

I just wanted to know, should I raise the toilet and put the tiles underneath or should I tile around it? I know it sounds like a dumb question but every DIY store I go to has toilets and sinks that are not fixed down.

If (as I suspect) I need to raise them, should there be enough give in the toilet fixings to allow a raise or will I need to readjust it all?

The carpet is fitted around the toilet and sink pedestal.
Hi sav_c, I'm new round here... Just wondering how you got on with this job? I am in a similar situation (except our builders didn't put anything down on the bathroom floor) and we have a tiler coming round on Monday. I am very green when it comes to DIY and need to raise the toilet too (not the sink, fortunately) - how easy was this to do? Is it something I should be capable of myself? Would appreciate hints or the steps you took. Many thanks & all the best.

Did all three toilets in my house last year when we laid new laminate and wood flooring. I found I had to replace the cold water feeds with those flexible connectors with valves. and decided to replace the soil connectors with new flexi ones as I my soil pipes come out of the ground and not the wall which is easier....oh I replaced the toilets at the same time.

As the experts have said, tile under the toilets and basins. Its neater and saves leaks (of all types :D ) from getting under the flooring. It just needs planning if you have to redrill mounting screws for both...and take your time....cisterns and basins crack very easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back