Tiling behind bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have gutted my bathroom and reinstalling all items in different positions. I have arranged for the tiler to come in 2 weeks to tile the walls and floor.

I have read comment on tiling onto top of bath.

What are disadvantages, if any, of tiling walls first and then fitting bath ?

The bath is used rarely less than once a month, and room will have shower enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Well, I can think of one advantage - your bath panel will probably fit as it was designed to. When the bath is fitted before the tiling, it fits (obviously) under the tiles so when the installer comes to fit the panel it's a little too long. He then cuts the panel and depending on his accuracy - or lack of it - it will then be a little too short. He'll then fill the gap with caulk.

If your wall ain't straight you'll notice it when you come to put your bath against the tiles.
If the silicone seal fails then you're talking about water running down the walls - less chance of this if the tiles sit on the edge of the bath.

Sponsored Links
If your wall ain't straight you'll notice it when you come to put your bath against the tiles
A friend of mine had to get a diferent tiler in as I was busy on a job and the tiler came in tiled the wall got paid and was off,when they came to fit the bath there was a lovely wobbly line along the wall and a big gap at one end ;)

Also as I have read many times on this forum bath in first with silicon round joints to wall,then tile on to edge of bath,then when finished another bead of silicon round joints giving you two seals to protect against moisture.

Well, I can think of one advantage - your bath panel will probably fit as it was designed to. When the bath is fitted before the tiling, it fits (obviously) under the tiles so when the installer comes to fit the panel it's a little too long. He then cuts the panel and depending on his accuracy - or lack of it - it will then be a little too short. He'll then fill the gap with caulk.
Get a different installer or call them back,never had a problem cutting a straight edge on a panel :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back