Tiling Dining Room (floor) with quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum and i'm about to tackle a room in my sisters house, we have red quarry tiles.

I'm comfortable i'll be able to do the job because i'm a bit of a perfectionist and have done my mums kitchen tiles before (thin ones though)

The problem is that the floor's a bit lower than expected, is it possible to pad it out with the adhesive or cement or should we screed the floor to make it a bit higher?

It has to be higher to match the next room's floor btw.

thanks for any replies :)

Sponsored Links
How much are we talking?

What is the floor made of, concrete, timber?

You could always glue tile backer board onto your floor from as low as 6mm or so up to probably 50mm board with a lot of sizes in between- 10mm, 12.5mm, 20mm.

Quite costly though.

Well the quarry tiles are about an inch thick at a guess and then around the same again gap below that.

The floor is smooth concrete, screed as well im guessing?

So there's a 2" Gap between one floor to the other?

If so, it might be more cost effective to screed although you wont like the drying times before you can tile, how big an area is it?

If you use a tile backer board, then you can tile virtually straight away.

If you have a big area and 2" to make up, it could be costly whichever way you go.

Sponsored Links
Yeah 2 inch between both rooms. ~1inch of adhesive or cement or whatever will be needed.

What time will i be looking at before being able to tile if i screed?

And what's a backer board, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of that over otherwise if any?

Excuse my lack of knowledge.

you could raise it with a high build up leveling compound like stopgap 600

Ok thanks.

Say if i did anything wrong after starting a bit, would i be able to lift the tiles again without damage easily or would this be a difficult job?

using a rapidset addy u will have about 20min play with tiles before u will find it very hard to move/lift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back